Infirmary Road Tesco - are drivers targeting cyclists?

That is correct, but the lights are faulty because the road is open to cyclists, so to not detect cyclists is a fault.

My feeling is that it is an intentional fault, so that only a large vehicle will trigger them, to not change for cars. But a fault nonetheless, and it is not so simple to dismount and use the pavement turning right in this way as it means crossing between traffic and wheeling a bike past a crowded tram stop, so the dismount option is far less practical - traveling through the red with caution is the only realistic way of dealing with this situation.

I do sometimes wonder, are these faults designed in under the assumption that cyclists will go through anyway?

I used to do this junction, and yes, I have had to jump red lights after they've gone through three cycles without going green for me. I now use Watersmeet Road/unlisted path/Thoresby Road/Forbes Road instead, It's signposted for cyclists at the Rivelin Valley/Watersmeet Junction, but the path between Watersmeet and Thoresby is damn narrow and you really rely on the goodwill of pedestrians, as it's not marked as a cycle path at the dead end of Watersmeet. Surely the proper route for cycles isn't up Rivelin Bank?

I used to do this junction, and yes, I have had to jump red lights after they've gone through three cycles without going green for me. I now use Watersmeet Road/unlisted path/Thoresby Road/Forbes Road instead, It's signposted for cyclists at the Rivelin Valley/Watersmeet Junction, but the path between Watersmeet and Thoresby is damn narrow and you really rely on the goodwill of pedestrians, as it's not marked as a cycle path at the dead end of Watersmeet. Surely the proper route for cycles isn't up Rivelin Bank?

I had no idea about that route...the junction is rarely a problem for me as I don't usually need to go up Infirmary Road on my way home, it's faster and flatter heading to Penistone Road and Shalesmoor

I have contacted Streetforce but received no reply or acknowledgement, which suggests to me that they know about it and it just got "oh another cyclist about the induction loop on the tram tracks, delete like the rest"

Just saw this on my tweet line and thought the good people on SF would appreciate reading it!! :).....http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/freight-association-declares-war-on.html

Sad to report yet another cyclist killed in London today by a HGV.

Disproportionate number of female cyclists in particular are being killed by HGVs in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23959657

but cyclist dont kill people with speed!!, .

I spent three months in plaster after a cyclist at speed went through a red light and swiped me off a crossing as I was walking over it. He didn't come off especially well either.

If you are seriously advocating jumping red lights then please remember if you argue with a car you will be seriously injured and have to pay for the damage

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 17:38 ----------

If I can get an idea of how often this is occurring, I can contact the council recommending the chicane be removed as this puts cyclists in needless conflict with other road users and reduces the safety of this stretch of road.

I'm sure they are not deliberatly having a go, but I can see how it appears as if they may be. It's been that way since the chicane was put in - I used to cycle it semi regularly myself and I know what you mean, although I really don't think there is any malice in the drivers actions.

Well, actually, since you mention B&Q

Bookcases don't present a problem. Nor snow for that matter

https://sphotos-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/185827_1817169225594_955065_n.jpg[/quote

I just cant see the wifey getting one, hee hee. I bet its a bugger riding up Rutland Road with it though. :hihi:

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 20:38 ----------

Sad to report yet another cyclist killed in London today by a HGV.

Disproportionate number of female cyclists in particular are being killed by HGVs in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23959657

It is indeed very, very sad when someone is killed. I see that the lorry driver wasnt arrested, so are we to assume it wasnt his fault? It does however fuel the argument that cycles and vehicles just do not mix, especially in built up areas. I love riding my M/B off road, but can honestly say that I wouldnt use it on Sheffields roadways if you paid me.