Infirmary Road Tesco - are drivers targeting cyclists?

No, it's never safer and it's never right for a cyclist to go through a red light. You're wrong when you do it, you're wrong when you say it, and I hope you get fined for it if you persist in doing it.

Your are joking right?. if you cycle as much as i do, 50-60 miles A WEEK. every week day. and using some of the worst rat runs in Sheffield . you would know that its far SAFER to use your own judgement when it comes to running red lights. and to illustrate that i have seen a few occasion when cyclist have mounted the kerbs to go across the crossing at the side of the sets of lights in order to stick to the rules of not jumping red lights. in their haste they have nearly knocked pedestrians over, given cars that are going through the junction on the green lights on the adjacent roads grief by dashing through the crossing in front of them.

I would much rather(if it was clear and i had plenty of time to cross without inconveniencing anyone) run the red light on my side of the road.

its just common sense. how many times to i have to say that.

Edited by alternageek
amended tags

No, I'm not joking at all. It's quite clear that every other cyclist on this thread doesn't agree with you.

I do a similar distance to you. And I don't find any need to go through a single red light.

50 - 60 miles a week is hardly impressive if you commute every day, it's only 10 miles a day! 2 * 5 mile commutes.

Stopping is safer than mounting the pavement or running the light.

It is not just common sense. It's laziness which you've attempted to justify through both "common sense" and "other people commit crimes". In what way is running a light sensible? What danger do you imagine you are protected from?

I wish you'd stop cycling, and given your attitude I hope you don't drive either. Get the bus, save us all from your irresponsible behaviour.

its far SAFER to use your own judgement when it comes to running red lights.

You do know you have to obey the Highway Code in the same way as drivers do don't you? And it's an offence to go through a red light.

You are not allowed to go through red lights because you think it's OK.

... using some of the worst rat runs in Sheffield ...

... its far SAFER to use your own judgement when it comes to running red lights ...

... cyclist have mounted the kerbs to go across the crossing at the side of the sets of lights in order to stick to the rules ...

... its just common sense ....

If these 'rat runs' are so bad, why not find a safer route?

Safer than obeying the law and coming to a halt? How is applying your brakes unsafe?

Mounting the kerb means cycling on the pavement. This is against 'the rules' and could land you with a £500 fine.

Common sense? :loopy:

Your are joking right?. if you cycle as much as i do, 50-60 miles A WEEK. every week day. and using some of the worst rat runs in Sheffield . you would know that its far SAFER to use your own judgement when it comes to running red lights. and to illustrate that i have seen a few occasion when cyclist have mounted the kerbs to go across the crossing at the side of the sets of lights in order to stick to the rules of not jumping red lights. in their haste they have nearly knocked pedestrians over, given cars that are going through the junction on the green lights on the adjacent roads grief by dashing through the crossing in front of them.

I would much rather(if it was clear and i had plenty of time to cross without inconveniencing anyone) run the red light on my side of the road.

its just common sense. how many times to i have to say that.

I'm wondering if you might actually be anti-cyclist, pretending to be a terrible cyclist to help fuel the anti-cyclist feelings of others.

here we go (AGAIN).. its called common sense, sometimes its much safer for the cyclist to use their own judgment and go through red lights... safer for them and it doesn't hold the traffic up that's behind who are usually itching to put their foot down when it turns amber..

Hang on a minute. Red lights are not discretionary. Imagine if motorists started going through them. Sometimes we sit at lights when there is no oncoming traffic. Sometimes speed limits are not suitable due to times of day, volume of traffic, but imagine if we decided it was more sensible to break the law.

No, I'm not joking at all. It's quite clear that every other cyclist on this thread doesn't agree with you.

I do a similar distance to you. And I don't find any need to go through a single red light.

50 - 60 miles a week is hardly impressive if you commute every day, it's only 10 miles a day! 2 * 5 mile commutes.

Stopping is safer than mounting the pavement or running the light.

It is not just common sense. It's laziness which you've attempted to justify through both "common sense" and "other people commit crimes". In what way is running a light sensible? What danger do you imagine you are protected from?

I wish you'd stop cycling, and given your attitude I hope you don't drive either. Get the bus, save us all from your irresponsible behaviour.

I have to agree with this. I cycle 100 miles plus per week most weeks and I would never dream of running a red light. It is certainly not common sense to run a red light, I just don't get that attitude.

The dilutions used in homeopathy are so great that you'd need more water than is present on the planet to be certain of finding 1 molecule of the "active ingredient" in the treatment, instead homepathy followers believe (erroneously) that the water somehow (ie. magically) remembers the properties of the substance that was once diluted in it.

To expand your sample; a large dosage of digitalis will kill you, a therapeutic dosage of digitalis will benefit you, a homeopathic dosage of digitalis will do sweet fa.

To paraphrase Paracelsus "the dose maketh the poison"

I do not appreciate your swearing at me in that manner even though it is in abbreviation. Nothing warrants it. You may chose to disagree with what I say but you may not swear at me. You may chose to use whatever medicine you like or you can afford. As you quote "the dose maketh the poisen. and my view is that sometimes the dose given is not warranted including your admittedly small dose in the above. But perhaps a bit of soap in your mouth in your mind and on your hands is.