Infirmary Road Tesco - are drivers targeting cyclists?

riding on the pavement where theres no cycle path contravenes the highway code does it. try telling that to the hundreds of cyclists that do it everyday of the week. if you put a thread on here saying i was nearly injured by a cyclist riding on pavement you would get a thousand others telling you the same, weather its to cut a left turn or to use a crossing to make a right turn cyclists DO use pavements on a regular basis even on the moor. ever thought thats one of the reasons theres so much friction between drivers and cyclists plus the fact that you use the roads free yet they pay expensive road tax to pay for your tight pockets

See that onewheeldave? There's a driver who seems to be upset with cyclists in general, including the OP who is trying to cycle sensibly and legally, because of the actions of a minority disobeying the law. Thanks very much for that.

Oh, and by the way johnme, I suspect you'll find that a straw poll of the cyclists here will show that most of them do pay VED - but we do so for the privilege of driving a car, which is what it's for. Bikes cause minimal damage to roads, so when we cycle instead of driving we're reducing the cost of road upkeep, the cost of which comes from a number of sources, as well as reducing congestion for you.

No need to thank us, you're completely welcome :)

Be careful with headlamp flashers.

If someone flashes you to go and you are then hit, either by them or another party, you have no legal rights as flashing (and also someone indicating) is no guarantee - you have to ensure the way is safe and clear.

Some insurance scammers exploit this by flashing/indicating to turn left and then hit you, claiming on you for whiplash and the like.

riding on the pavement where theres no cycle path contravenes the highway code does it. try telling that to the hundreds of cyclists that do it everyday of the week. if you put a thread on here saying i was nearly injured by a cyclist riding on pavement you would get a thousand others telling you the same, weather its to cut a left turn or to use a crossing to make a right turn cyclists DO use pavements on a regular basis even on the moor. ever thought thats one of the reasons theres so much friction between drivers and cyclists

Probably more of a reason for pedestrians to dislike cyclists than motorist, but I get youor point.

plus the fact that you use the roads free yet they pay expensive road tax to pay for your tight pockets

Oh dear, not another one who knows neither where the funding from roads comes from nor what VED is actually for.

jb

There is an ambiguity if you are the one who sees someone flashing their lights - rule 111 of the HC makes that very point. I applaud your stance to not flash your lights to give other road users right of way, but if you actually only ever judge (the HC's word) them flashing their lights as them making you aware of their presence then I reckon you must be stuck at some junction having been locked in a stalemate of politeness for months.

If I am in slow or stationary traffic and a car is indicating to turn across my front I will stop and wait, leaving a gap making it quite obvious.

We're I to flash them and they moved across hitting a vehicle passing on my inside or, god forbid a cyclist I could be deemed partly to blame for flashing the driver.

Having lived in Germany for many years I have adopted their way of driving. Flashing your headlights is to indicate your presence especially to a slower moving vehicle in the outside lane of the autobahn, not as a pleasantry.

If I am in slow or stationary traffic and a car is indicating to turn across my front I will stop and wait, leaving a gap making it quite obvious.

We're I to flash them and they moved across hitting a vehicle passing on my inside or, god forbid a cyclist I could be deemed partly to blame for flashing the driver.

Having lived in Germany for many years I have adopted their way of driving. Flashing your headlights is to indicate your presence especially to a slower moving vehicle in the outside lane of the autobahn, not as a pleasantry.

Hear hear. That's great. I'm not suggesting you or anyone else should do otherwise.

Funnily enough there was a thread about that happening on London road, and the OP (and witness to the accident) swore blind that the cyclist (in the cycle lane) was in the wrong for cycling too fast, and the van that was flashed across and thus drove in front of the cyclist was not in the wrong!

Amazing.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 21:06 ----------

There is no ambiguity, it is stated in the Highway Code and that is why I don't flash my lights to other drivers as an indication to give them right of way.

Yes. But you realise the distinction between the HC and the law? Right?

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 21:09 ----------

riding on the pavement where theres no cycle path contravenes the highway code does it. try telling that to the hundreds of cyclists that do it everyday of the week.

Yes it does.

Although interestingly several home secretaries have now told cyclists to do it if it makes them safer.

I still frown at cyclists on the pavement for no good reason (as I cycle past on the road).

if you put a thread on here saying i was nearly injured by a cyclist riding on pavement you would get a thousand others telling you the same, weather its to cut a left turn or to use a crossing to make a right turn cyclists DO use pavements on a regular basis even on the moor.

The moor is a cycle route. Duh.

ever thought thats one of the reasons theres so much friction between drivers and cyclists plus the fact that you use the roads free yet they pay expensive road tax to pay for your tight pockets

Errr, are you confusing pedestrians and drivers? Or have you foolishy (yes, I can see you have) assumed that cyclists don't drive and pay VED for their cars.

You do realise that if you buy the right car the VED is £0.00, no? Which planet have you been living on?

No, not one.

Running a red light never makes sense and never makes it safer. This is just an excuse to not stop IMO.

Devil's advocate, I would suggest ONE junction in the whole world (or at least from those I have knowledge of which admittedly is a small percentage) where passing a red could be safer - or at least not hazardous

That is at the end of Queens Road at the London Road / Wolseley Road junction

I would suggest that a short cycle lane to the left at the FIRST set of lights, not so much as a "lane" but rather as a stop-line bypass facilitating passage to the second stop line, would act as a safe "ASL". The space between the 2 stop lines does not conflict with any traffic from any direction.

However, there is not such an arrangement so I don't cycle as if there is. The lanes are so narrow I would rather take the lane for my safety and I don't filter there either. I can understand why someone might do so however.

I'm talking about here - http://goo.gl/maps/lUWbF

I'm not sure.

My guess is that it provides a get-out for the confused drivers in the middle tidal flow lane when that is arrowed for Wolseley Road, and they intended to get onto London Road then right to Broadfield Road, to "escape" by going on their green and moving left.

Doesn't work, they just sit at green and flip their left indicator on