Memories of Roxy's Nightclub

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

late 70's, killie.

sorry for the delay, but i've only just spotted this post. most of the seventies really and i'm sure it was still the Top Rank then. they were supposed to hold roller discos there but cant remember if it ever happened or not.

I remember going back in the 70s when it was the Top Rank it had a teens night on a Tuesday, tried to get in on my Stag night back in 1981 but they wouldn't let us in because there was about 30 of us. Last went around 1997 but can't remember when it closed.

Appreciate some of you have good memories but doesn't anyone else think the de-funct building should be either knocked down or re-instated as a super-club for Sheffield...especially when all its being used for is some neo- Christian charity parade.

Don't get me wrong, (I'm catholic) but shouldn't such a big building (which is obviously on quite expensive land rights) and one of key location be put to better use???

am I on my own here or what???

My time here was the mid 90s and I must say the place had the worst fizzy pish in plastic pot I've ever tasted. Of course I went back the next Wednesday and the next....

Even got to dance onstage with Leo Sayer. BABY! Whats happening to the place now then?

I went to Roxy's from 1993-96 on either a Friday or Saturday night. When I went the place was always full.

At around midnight they used to play what they called 'party' music end encouraged people to sing along or dance. They had two girls in lycra cycling shorts dancing on stage; I think one of them was called Joanne.

They also had an area where they served food; burgers, chips that sort of thing. I never had any of it though.

What do other people remember from this time?