Memories of Roxy's Nightclub

Originally posted by Killian

wasn't it known as Barry Noble's Roxy? went there a lot in the 70's when it was the Top Rank. Had two levels and lots of fancy lighting. pretty flash compared with some of the other 70's clubs.

LOL thats exactly how it was when it evanually shut.

I loved the cheesyness of Poxys Nite Spot, always an ego boost for the girlies as you could always pull. Whether you actually wanted to of course was an different matter ;)

When I was dragged kicking and screaming into a discoteque it was usually Roxies or as we called it 'the cattle market'. Girls would congregate on the dance floor in huddled groups a collection of handbags piled in the middle of them, the guys would walk around the place alternating between the ground floor and the first eyeing up all the available talent. The average age of the clientelle was young in some cases ridiculously young and then every now and then you'd spot an old guy in their 40's complete with sweat stained jacket plying a young foolish girl with the watered down junk that was sold.

My only good memory of the place was when it was the venue for a lager promotion night with some fairly clever laser beam light shows, or at least it was clever for it's time.

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd just ask the origional question again as it is over a year since my origional post and in that time there may be new members who have memories of Roxy's. Also do people remember Cairo's, Josaphines or Issabellas (later Uropa) from around that same period?

Originally posted by aim'n'Mark

Does anyone remember Pete Waterman and Michaela Strachan doing the hitman and her at Roxy's?? I remember watching it on tv as I was too young to go to Roxy's then..

My mate K works with a girl whos boyfriend is one of the dancers from Hit man and her- He's not that great a mover, thought he'd be fab!

Originally posted by slimsid2000

I thought I'd just ask the origional question again as it is over a year since my origional post and in that time there may be new members who have memories of Roxy's. Also do people remember Cairo's, Josaphines or Issabellas (later Uropa) from around that same period?

Banus ( Josephines) is just the same as it always was but with a new carpet- ANUS with a B.

Originally posted by slimsid2000

Killian,

What or who was The Crazy Daisy? I last went to Roxy's in 1996 and have obviously missed out on this.

The Crazy Daisy is Infamous for being the club where Phil Oakey found his backing singers Joanne Cathrall and Suzanne Sulley, legend has it that he picked them out from the crowd because they were good at dancing.... Mmm, call me a funny bugger but Id've chosen them for their singing capabilities?

I am a fan though Phil, of the girls too.

Oh those were the days! Roxy's was the best. No club has ever come close to it. We used to go upstairs and look over the balcony to see if we could see anyone nice men. Do you remember the bouncers dancing near the bottom of the stage area. How we laughed. The music, the laughs and the broken hearts. We met so many people who we still know today.

There were so many different things to do. Food, drink, 2 dance floors (early days that one), kissing on the stairs and getting in everyone's way, and so many different bars. Easily avoiding unwanted attention. Grab a granny on a thursday, party night on a wednesday. How I used to go and then get up for work I don't know but such fun days. Never to be repeated. The young of today could never have it so good. :hihi::banana: :banana: :wow:

Originally posted by Lestat

Roxys! ha ha what a place . . for a few years between 95 & 98 it was just the place to go when all other options were closed to you! Sayin' that i had some great times in there.

I last heard it was a church for gospel singing or something!!! can someone clarify this?

Roxys always a place of worship! We prayed everytime we went in to kop off with someone nice, well, near enough anyway.

Barry Noble was the King.

Originally posted by sezemeseeds

Roxys always a place of worship! We prayed everytime we went in to kop off with someone nice, well, near enough anyway.

Barry Noble was the King.

In what years did you go there? I went from 1993 to 1996.