Jobless youth lack Brit grit

'Lastly, the welfare system plays its malign part, providing perverse incentives for people to remain jobless because benefits can pay as much as a salary'

An 18 year old on JSA receives £56.80 pw.

If an employer is paying someone this much a week, they are paying them £1.62 per hour.

Hardly an incentive to go out to work, especially once weekly travel fares are taken into consideration and food for lunch.

Yes, because the minimum wage is near to £1.62 an hour :huh:

What do employers want to do, pay them less?

First the Coalition malign those on Benifits, then they malign YOUR children.

Who will they malign next? Anyone, as long as it detracts from the greedy bankers and the Coalitions failed policies.

Who are you blaming for what now?

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 17:46 ----------

That's the last thing they need. Life is ridiculously competitive. Only the strong survive.

It's a well known fact that 90% of our young don't make it to adulthood isn't it... :roll:

It's a well known fact that 90% of our young don't make it to adulthood isn't it... :roll:

Life is ridiculously competitive. Only the strong survive.

You took from that I could only mean that they will die before adulthood? That's slow even for Cyclone. Bad day?

"Huge" numbers of young people looking after their parents, sacrificing their own aspirations? How many young kids are leaving school at 16 and doing nothing but looking after ill parents? Come on, hows that not an excuse.

You'd be surprised how many young people there are looking after their parents. Or indeed how many young people volunteer in general.

Many show true grit by overcoming abuse and neglect - something else that the article doesn't acknowledge.

In the general moan and whinge about young people, nowhere do changing patterns of employment, or employment policy ever get a mention by those that do blame the young people.

So much easier to punch downwards than upwards

You'd be surprised how many young people there are looking after their parents. Or indeed how many young people volunteer in general. Many show true grit by overcoming abuse and neglect - something else that the article doesn't acknowledge. In the general moan and whinge about young people, nowhere do changing patterns of employment, or employment policy ever get a mention by those that do blame the young people. So much easier to punch downwards than upwards

In the scheme of things, I'm sure the amount of kids looking after incapable parents is very few and far between. If I was on my death bed I wouldn't allow my children to ruin their futures looking after me I can assure you of that. I also wouldn't allow my kids to do voluntary work unless it was specifically to enhance an application for a specific career. Doing voluntary work is a luxury old dears participate in, not young people trying to get ahead.

In the scheme of things, I'm sure the amount of kids looking after incapable parents is very few and far between. If I was on my death bed I wouldn't allow my children to ruin their futures looking after me I can assure you of that. I also wouldn't allow my kids to do voluntary work unless it was specifically to enhance an application for a specific career. Doing voluntary work is a luxury old dears participate in, not young people trying to get ahead.

Many young people engage in volutary work precisely to get on the employment ladder so they can get experience to help them get work.

Incidentally it's interesting that you question other reasons than 'lacking grit' for the fact that the employer who wrote the article only employs foreigners, yet you don't question whether employers chooses to employ foreigners as he percieves that they will be more willing to be treated shoddily

Many young people engage in volutary work precisely to get on the employment ladder so they can get experience to help them get work.

Incidentally it's interesting that you question other reasons than 'lacking grit' for the fact that the employer who wrote the article only employs foreigners, yet you don't question whether employers chooses to employ foreigners as he percieves that they will be more willing to be treated shoddily

Does he say that he only employs foreigners?

He does make reference to the fact that there are a high number of foreign workers employed in an area he knows well.

Life is ridiculously competitive. Only the strong survive.

You took from that I could only mean that they will die before adulthood? That's slow even for Cyclone. Bad day?

You must be using a definition of survive that is not the commonly accepted one.

sur·vive

/sərˈvīv/

Verb

• Continue to live or exist, esp. in spite of danger or hardship.
  • Continue to live or exist in spite of (an accident or ordeal).

Are you a native English speaker?

Archived