Jobless youth lack Brit grit

I wonder how many British youngsters would be capable of making their own way in the world if there were suddenly no welfare state, or parental support? Maybe we would be surprised and they would be up to the task if there was no other option to fall back on.

crime, homelessness and begging would shoot up

I work to live, not live to work! I believe in doing a good job of course but don't devote my whole life to it! Life is for living and work is a necessary evil! There's so much more to enjoy in life besides work. But that said obviously no excuse for sitting on your backside all day then moaning about money! I believe though everybody deserves the opportunity to earn money and entitled to a job of some sort unless you do something wrong. Something is very wrong when someone is a millionaire and then makes people redundant from his business just so he can have more or pays them a pittance when they are earning most of the money!

I wonder how many British youngsters would be capable of making their own way in the world if there were suddenly no welfare state, or parental support? Maybe we would be surprised and they would be up to the task if there was no other option to fall back on.

Most of them manage it as it is without either, or with minimal levels of it, so I expect that most of them would just carry on.

People would try and appoint themselves are rulers and intimidation and violence would rise. In other words, the collapse of the society we know today

Given the context in which you used it, I'm sure Cyclone knew what you meant when you said 'survive', he just lacks the ability not to be pedantic. :P

I kinda agree with the sentiments, we shouldn't be making young people soft and reliant on the state, better for them, for everyone, if they're more self-dependent, and mentally tough.

Rocky says it best...

Given the context in which you used it, I'm sure Cyclone knew what you meant when you said 'survive', he just lacks the ability not to be pedantic. :P

I kinda agree with the sentiments, we shouldn't be making young people soft and reliant on the state, better for them, for everyone, if they're more self-dependent, and mentally tough.

Rocky says it best...

Not everyone has that ability, people are different. Besides, if they did, would there be a need for politicians?

I think one of the problems is all the rigmarole you have to go through to get a Macjob.

You used to be able to get a job virtually by turning up on the doorstep. Those days are gone of course, but now it involves lengthy application forms and multiple interviews and a 3 page essay on why you want to dedicate your entire life to cooking chips and burgers...

and a 3 page essay on why you want to dedicate your entire life to cooking chips and burgers...

If anyone is offering a job training someone to cook chips and burgers in their restaurant then of course they want dedication and commitment because their takings are at stake if they hire a slacker without drive and motivation. This is the problem with young people. They have an attitude problem towards work and what they're prepared to do to get on in life.

If anyone is offering a job training someone to cook chips and burgers in their restaurant then of course they want dedication and commitment because their takings are at stake if they hire a slacker without drive and motivation. This is the problem with young people. They have an attitude problem towards work and what they're prepared to do to get on in life.

Whilst I would agree that immigrants work harder than Brits. If frying burger and chips was financially viable then our indigenous youth would be able to get on in life.

The problem is the system 'traps' people. What we need to do is eradicate bureaucracy and replace our current benefits system with a Citizens Income.

http://www.citizensincome.org/

Archived