The economy, the housing market, and the truth

It seems to me that expecting builders to build lots of housing too quickly is counterproductive, it appears to be more sustainable to the building trade to allow them to build them over a series of years.

Then you have to ask whether the huge shortage of houses is a priority for addressing, or whether it should actually be the sustainability of the building industry which takes priority...

The volume developers contributed over £half a million to the tories around the time of the general election - I wonder if this might possibly be a factor?

Time to wake up!

But they built even fewer houses when Labour were in charge. Time to remove the blindfold.

If you work full time, I think you should be able to afford the basics in life, and that includes food and water, heat and light and a roof over your head. Long ago we traded self sufficiency for a waged economy, so isn't this a basic right?

Otherwise how are you going to live?

I think the problem began when homes became commodities to be traded rather than shelter. And a wage no longer covered the basics

You seem to be suggesting that I am a labour supporter. Such an assumption would be wrong.

She's suggesting that you are implying that they donate money to the party that is currently in power in order to enable them to maintain low levels of house building.

And suggesting that it isn't true since they were building even fewer houses under the previous government to whom they presumably hadn't donated any money.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 10:25 ----------

If you work full time, I think you should be able to afford the basics in life, and that includes food and water, heat and light and a roof over your head. Long ago we traded self sufficiency for a waged economy, so isn't this a basic right?

Otherwise how are you going to live?

I think the problem began when homes became commodities to be traded rather than shelter. And a wage no longer covered the basics

The automatic right to own a home has never been part of that trade off. It's a recent phenomena.

She's suggesting that you are implying that they donate money to the party that is currently in power in order to enable them to maintain low levels of house building.

And suggesting that it isn't true since they were building even fewer houses under the previous government to whom they presumably hadn't donated any money.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 10:25 ----------

The automatic right to own a home has never been part of that trade off. It's a recent phenomena.

I'm not suggesting home ownership as a basic right, but people can't even afford to rent now in some cases.

In Sheffield?

Yes, on minimum wage.

We should earn enough to cover all of the above without having to be subsidised by the state.

This is the basic problem and the reason why people can't afford to work. Not that benefits pay too much but that work pays too little.

Yes, on minimum wage.

We should earn enough to cover all of the above without having to be subsidised by the state.

This is the basic problem and the reason why people can't afford to work. Not that benefits pay too much but that work pays too little.

Bet most Chinese workers work harder for less wages than people have got used to here!..............we might have to think again if we want to compete in the global economy.

Yes, on minimum wage.

But surely if easy borrowing and availability of money sends up house prices, then rents that folk can't afford must surely lead to empty rental properties thus driving rents down.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 19:52 ----------

Bet most Chinese workers work harder for less wages than people have got used to here!..............we might have to think again if we want to compete in the global economy.

With yet more eastern European countries joining the EU we certainly will. The EU requires free trade between all EU member states. Therefore there is nothing to stop a UK manufacture shifting production to Rumania where the minimum wage is 157.26 Euros a month as the UK where it is somewhat higher.

Indeed it has a lot going for it as you can then export to virtually every EU country without using ships, planes or the Channel Tunnel. The unions stock answer to this is to go on strike, which will only help UK companies make the decision to move production away from the UK.

For comparison. Minimum wage..

Poland 376.58 EUR per month

Hungary 340.55 EUR per month

United Kingdom 1,264.25 EUR per month

Archived