Questions about Bradway

jsg103

I used to go to The Castle quite a lot a few years ago. It was pleasant enough. You couldn't call it a gastro pub or describe it as being chi-chi, but it was (and hopefully still is) a good old fashioned friendly boozer.

Regarding crime, my advice would be to use this website http://www.police.uk/crime/

Point it to the postcode that you are interested in and perform your own analysis. It's worth knowing that Bradway is bordered at its Eastern end by a council estate. However the impact that this has upon Bradway itself is very limited. (A bit like the council estates you find in the good old London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea).

Hope that is of some help.

Bradway is one of the better areas in Sheffield. I don't think you will go far wrong there.

I haven't been in the castle for many years. But generally at that end of town you are not likely to be troubled by low life's :)

There are two pubs in Bradway

- Old Mother Redcap, basic modern comfy local owned by Samuel Smiths Brewery, all own brand products, reasonably priced.

- Castle Inn, built into the end of a row of stone built terrace cottages, 3 rooms (tap room with darts board, lounge and dining room). Enterprise Inns lease, usual lagers etc, 3 real ales, football on the TV. Food is generally normal simple pub grub menu and carvery on Sundays, however from time to time gourmet nights are held with a guest chef. Friendly and comfortable enough place.

If you fancy a little bit of a walk there are also pubs not too far away in Totley and Dronfield Woodhouse or there are regular buses into town via Woodseats and Heeley.

OP should look at another recent thread about Bradway at; http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1207998&highlight=bradway

The Totley Brook and River Sheaf form the boundary between Bradway and Dore and Totley so, strictly speaking, The Shepley Spitfire is in Bradway, although most would count it as a Totley pub. It used to have an inn sign featuring a Spitfire, but since Greene King of Bury St Edmunds took over it has one of their standard signs. Why a Suffolk brewer is controlling Sheffield pubs is just one of those signs of progress, but it's a shame the Spitfire got shot down!

I used to go to The Castle quite a lot a few years ago. It was pleasant enough. You couldn't call it a gastro pub or describe it as being chi-chi, but it was (and hopefully still is) a good old fashioned friendly boozer.

Regarding crime, my advice would be to use this website http://www.police.uk/crime/

Point it to the postcode that you are interested in and perform your own analysis. It's worth knowing that Bradway is bordered at its Eastern end by a council estate. However the impact that this has upon Bradway itself is very limited. (A bit like the council estates you find in the good old London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea).

Hope that is of some help.

Quite several vehicle crimes in June and one sexual offence - I guess this is unusual...

Bradway's problem is that it is adjacent to an enormous drug infested council estate, The Lowedges, which in turn borders with Batemoor and Jordanthorpe. The local pub, the Bradway Hotel has got the steel shutters up, leaving the pubs in Greenhill Village, one of which I believe has also closed and of course the infamous Grennel Moor.

There are nicer places!

Bradway is actually made up of 3 places - Lower Bradway, Upper Bradway and Bradway Bank.

Upper Bradway is basically Bradway Road and Hemper Lane including the main shopping area and recreation ground.

Lower Bradway is the Twentywell/St Quentin estates including the Castle Inn

Bradway Bank is the Wollation/Everard/Rosamund estates including the Old Mother Redcap pub, bus terminus and Wollaton shops.

I would say the only bit that has dubious youths off Lowedges hanging around is Upper Bradway but I'm not sure thats an issue all that frequently is it?

Quite several vehicle crimes in June and one sexual offence - I guess this is unusual...

Have a look at the following statistics about Bradway and compare them with other neighbourhoods and wards in Sheffield; http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/healthdata/nhoods12/99_Bradway_2012.pdf

Crime exists in Bradway but compared with almost all wards and neighbourhoods it is at a low level.

Sadly there have been a number of break ins to vehicles in recent times, both theft of the car and theft of tools taken from business vehicles. Word is getting round and residents are being more vigilant!

Archived