Questions about Bradway

jsg103

If you're thinking of Bradway, why not speak to the police at Woodseats who patrol that patch. The fact there are a number of ex-senior police officers of my acquaintance living at Bradway may give you an indication of the area (plus a couple of ex-football players).

The former Bradway pub is earmarked to be a Sainsburys.

For good real ale - try the Woodseats Palace on Woodseats.

:cool:

If you're thinking of Bradway, why not speak to the police at Woodseats who patrol that patch. The fact there are a number of ex-senior police officers of my acquaintance living at Bradway may give you an indication of the area (plus a couple of ex-football players).

The former Bradway pub is earmarked to be a Sainsburys.

For good real ale - try the Woodseats Palace on Woodseats.

:cool:

:o There are better places. Stay on the bus and go to Sheaf View!

Castle used to be nice for food, especially Sunday roast, but last time we went in after a long absence, we were very disappointed. Was also rather quiet and lacking in atmosphere. I also found the caged bird depressing. The Mother Redcap has very cheap drinks but as a result you can get some undesirables in it. Hopefully someone will take over The Bradway (currently boarded up) soon and turn it into the great pub it should be.

take a trip a bit further down the road and check out Dronfield - there are pubs galore.

Real Ale pubs, kid friendly pubs, dog friendly pubs, scuzzie pubs where your feet stick lovingly to the carpet, posher pubs with awesome food, pubs with great scenery, pubs with bands, pubs with bouncy castles, pubs with breakfasts and pubs with dancefloors, if you like a bit of a boogie.

Re: Bradway, the Castle Inn is a nice place to go for a drink, although I prefer the Old Mother Redcap. It is a Sam Smiths pub, but it has a lot of locals and is a very sociable place.

Hopefully someone will take over The Bradway (currently boarded up) soon and turn it into the great pub it should be.

Too late, looks like Sainsbury's have resubmitted their planning application for the Bradway Hotel site having previously been turned down. They haven't agreed to do what the Planning Committee wanted, preferring to resubmit in slightly amended format, see; http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MR3YUKNYFY000

Who'll blink first? With all Sainsbury's clout they'll probably succeed, so your best chance of a drink from that site looks like being in a can!

Bradway's problem is that it is adjacent to an enormous drug infested council estate, The Lowedges, which in turn borders with Batemoor and Jordanthorpe. The local pub, the Bradway Hotel has got the steel shutters up, leaving the pubs in Greenhill Village, one of which I believe has also closed and of course the infamous Grennel Moor.

There are nicer places!

This post contains inaccuracies as others have pointed out. Lowedges council estate borders Lower Bradway (the Eastern edge of Bradway). I'll cast no aspersions on the crime that occurs in Lowedges, but it has significantly higher reported crime figures than Bradway.

If a non-local is unaware of where Bradway ends and Lowedges begins they may assume that the (higher) crime figures for Lowedges relate to Bradway when they do not. So I'd put it to you that crime in Lowedges is mainly Lowedges' problem, not Bradway's.

As for "the local pub", Bradway in fact only has 2 pubs: the Castle Inn, and Mother Redcap. This has been the case for a number of years. As pointed out by others, the former Bradway Hotel in Lower Bradway is the subject of a local supermarket application by Sainsburys.

Perhaps sedith meant that there were nicer places for pubs. I'd agree with him on that. But in terms of nicer places to live in Sheffield, I'd say there are only a very few in Sheffield.

• 1 month later...

My daughter moved to Bradway Rd last summer from Malin Bridge. She said it is the best decision ever. In summer they went to the Cricket Inn at Totley most weekends and occasionally the Castle. If there is trouble from the Lowedges estate she is blissfully unaware.

Archived