Wedding venue help & advice please!

Hi,

UPDATE - We called back some of the earlier places we'd ruled out so try again to negotiate flexibility with our own catering, wine, etc. We've successfully arranged this and book with the Old Rectory in Handsworth! Thanks to everyone for their help...

My partner and I are trying to find a venue for a wedding in Spring 2015. We've looked at quite a few places but not found anywhere quite right. We're looking for somewhere as near as possible to the following, if anyone has any recommendations we'd be really grateful!

+ We want to have both the ceremony and the reception at the same venue, so the venue needs to be licensed

+ We're looking in Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Derbyshire - or within 30 minutes or so of Sheffield

+ We want to provide our own wine. We don't mind paying a reasonable corkage

+ We'd like some gardens outside for photos, but we don't need anything especially fancy

+ We'd like the venue to have a little bit of character or age, not just a brick sports hall or similar

+ We're on a sensible budget, so no more than around £1500 for the venue hire

+ We're looking at around 100 guests for ceremony, reception and meal.

Where we've looked at so far...

We've looked at Marquee hire, but by the time you include flooring, heating etc, it's well beyond our £1500 budget.

The Old Rectory in Handsworth - We really liked this, but they weren't willing to discuss the possibility of us providing our own wine.

Wood Lane Countryside Centre - We also liked this, but the venue isn't big enough for 90 guests.

Bradfield Village Hall - This was also quite good but it was a bit too plain looking.

Kelham - doesn't have any outside green space that I can see.

Millennium Galleries - doesn't have any garden space that I can see.

Weston Park would require a marquee.

Woodkirk Valley is pretty good, but it's just a bit dated and scruffy, plus it's quite a long way away from us.

Ecclesall Woods - requires a marquee

Kenwood Hall - basic venue hire is way beyond budget

Hartington Hall - More than double our budget, no flexibility on catering or booze

Manorial Barn, Whiston - No outdoor space, no self-catering, and no Sundays.

Hargate Hall - Not big enough without a marquee which is beyond budget

Whirlowbrook Hall - Bringing our own wine isn't an option, the lack of flexibility puts us off.

Wentworth Castle - £2250 for a full day venue hire, too expensive

Niagara Centre - Self catering only possible in a £3000 marquee. Corkage is £10 per bottle.

Renishaw Hall - holds a maximum of 60 for the meal unless using a marquee

Whirlow Grange - Too small for 100

Places we're still looking into...

looking at split site options and venues outside sheffield

Finally, does anyone know much about Tankersley Park Golf Club?

Hi,

We too are looking for 2015, i have looked at cannon hall, they are quite steep in terms of venue hire, and if i remember rightly they have preferred suppliers too.

I have had a look at Green Directions, they are in Stannington and are simply a venue where you hire in a marquee and do your own thing.

I haven't looked much beyond that (other than the places you have mentioned) in too much detail, but i am waiting on viewing appointments for the millenuim galleries, weston park museum and kelham island, not sure of their policies yet, but it might be worth a shot?

Good luck

Hi,

My partner and I are trying to find a venue for a wedding in Spring 2015. We've looked at quite a few places but not found anywhere quite right. We're looking for somewhere as near as possible to the following, if anyone has any recommendations we'd be really grateful!

+ We want to provide our own wine. We don't mind paying a small corkage

+ We're looking in South Yorkshire & North Derbyshire - within 30 minutes or so of Sheffield

+ We want to have both the ceremony and the reception at the same venue

+ We'd like some gardens outside for photos, although they don't have to be huge

+ We'd like the venue to have a little bit of character or age

+ We're on a sensible budget, so no more than £1500 for the venue hire

+ We're looking at a minimum of 90 guests for the meal (a buffet to be organised by us)

We really liked the Old Rectory in Handsworth, but they weren't even willing to discuss the possibility of us providing our own wine which ruled them out. We also liked Wood Lane Countryside Centre but the venue isn't big enough for 90 guests (and they've massively hiked prices). Bradfield Village Hall was also quite good but it was a bit too plain looking (and corkage was a bit steep). We're going to look at Hargate Hall soon but I don't think it looks big enough (without the marquee which would take us way over budget).

Finally, does anyone know much about either Cannon Hall Museum or Tankersley Park Golf Club?

I really hope you find what you are looking for but you are asking someone to supply a venue and not really make any money. I can't think of many really nice places that will supply a cheap room without making anything on the food or drink. I will pop back if I think of anything.

Have you thought about dressing a village hall up with a twinkling backdrop curtain, flowers, bunting and nicely dressed tables? I hire out vintage china cups, saucer, teapots, cake stands (glass and china) and glass dishes for sweetie buffets etc. Click on my signature to look at some of our stock.

I'm sending some more photos to Krush so pm me your email address if you want some photos sending.

Cheers for your reply

Hi,

We too are looking for 2015, i have looked at cannon hall, they are quite steep in terms of venue hire, and if i remember rightly they have preferred suppliers too.

That's useful to know, looks like they're not ideal then

I have had a look at Green Directions, they are in Stannington and are simply a venue where you hire in a marquee and do your own thing.

There isn't any mention on their website of them being licensed for ceremonies, and they're not listed on the council website either - do you know if they do ceremonies?

I haven't looked much beyond that (other than the places you have mentioned) in too much detail, but i am waiting on viewing appointments for the millennium galleries, weston park museum and kelham island, not sure of their policies yet, but it might be worth a shot?

Good luck

Kelham and the Millennium Galleries don't have the open green space really. Weston Park is a possibility with a marquee, but I haven't managed to find any marquees that aren't really expensive either!

Good luck - let me know if you find anything :)

Twenty years ago mum in law used to do catering for all friends and relatives celebrations. If the hall is basic but nice and clean it can easily be transformed with nicely set tables with flower arrangements etc. Nowadays you can get help from all sort of wedding hire businesses. I recently set up my china hire and have seen some fantastic wedding hire businesses offering floor standing or table candelabra, bird cages, pretty backdrops to walls etc. I think it might be safer to have a plain room and do it up rather than a marquee if weather isn't too good. You just need a bit of vision and imagination.

Twenty years ago mum in law used to do catering for all friends and relatives celebrations. If the hall is basic but nice and clean it can easily be transformed with nicely set tables with flower arrangements etc. Nowadays you can get help from all sort of wedding hire businesses. I recently set up my china hire and have seen some fantastic wedding hire businesses offering floor standing or table candelabra, bird cages, pretty backdrops to walls etc. I think it might be safer to have a plain room and do it up rather than a marquee if weather isn't too good. You just need a bit of vision and imagination.

Agreed - I was only looking at marquees for cheapness which sadly isn't in evidence. A plain room inside is fine, I was more thinking outside. To be honest, even without taking the appearance of the building into account we haven't found anything

I really hope you find what you are looking for but you are asking someone to supply a venue and not really make any money. I can't think of many really nice places that will supply a cheap room without making anything on the food or drink. I will pop back if I think of anything.

Have you thought about dressing a village hall up with a twinkling backdrop curtain, flowers, bunting and nicely dressed tables? I hire out vintage china cups, saucer, teapots, cake stands (glass and china) and glass dishes for sweetie buffets etc. Click on my signature to look at some of our stock.

I'm sending some more photos to Krush so pm me your email address if you want some photos sending.

£1500 just to use a building for 24 hours seems like making plenty of money to me. If I could rent my house out for that I'd have the mortgage paid off in 6 months!

Once we've got a venue sorted I'll be looking for decorations etc and will give you a shout. Cheers.

A nice village hall would be good but not many seem licensed for ceremonies.

---------- Post added 24-08-2013 at 08:31 ----------

You might be better looking at established venues and having a mid-week or Sunday wedding. Discounts can be quite significant.

tomwaltonphotography.co.uk

We actually want a Sunday wedding but on a bank holiday so I'm assuming the bank holiday Sunday price won't retain any discount.

Archived