Bombsites revisited.

Texas

One bombsite I remember vividly was situated in the middle of the old Kelvin off a little lane opposite Upperthorpe School.I was about 17 at the time it was a freezing winters night pitch black around 10pm,my girlfriend at the time and I walked down the lane,forgotten the name coming home from the Don Cinema.We came to the bombsite which if you crossed it saved walking round a large loop onto the bottom road,it was on a steep hill you entered it through the remains of a house door.I went first stepped down in the pitch black darkness straight onto an icy slide the local kids had made,my feet went from under me I landed on my arse and I went down the slide at mach 1 I swear,it was like a nightmare one minute I was talking to my girlfriend the next second I was 150 yards down the Cresta Run in the darkness upside down.As I got up I could hear her nearly wetting herself laughing at the top of the hill,yes sir I remember the bombsites alright no problem!

Archived