Npower - advice needed

Add me to the list, I moved in to my house over a year ago and Ive been getting letter upon letter demanding I pay the previous tenants bill. I told them again and again its not my bill and I had also switched supplier a few weeks after I moved in but they still kept threatening they were going to break in and cut off our supply!

Surely if you're signed up to pay by Direct Debit you can just log in and check your bill whenever - I found them a bit slack to sort out our final bills but we knew that we needed to keep an eye on the online account so had no surprises. If you don't pay your bill online when you get it (the bill is via email) I imagine they will just take the extra money anyway......... always read the terms and conditions

• 3 weeks later...

I posted here a couple of weeks ago regarding an ongoing issue with Npower. (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1214985).

I took on another contract in the house I am in based on the information Npower gave me about my energy usage. Then a couple of months later I got an actual bill (after asking for 5 months) which was over £1000 more. They offered me compensation of £40 which I told them was laughable. If I were to leave this house, I would lose my deposit of £600 or I can stay here and pay ridiculous bills (it has an aga, why anyone would have one I have no idea). My decision to stay was based entirely on Npower telling me that my bills were not actually that bad, which was entirely not the case.

So, now they have upped their compensation to £150. This is their final offer. If I refuse it, I can go to the ombudsman. But what happens then? Am I, in effect, gambling the £150 they have already offered or would the ombudsmen, at the worst, just say I have to accept their offer? Anyone been in this situation? ta.

Npower give you the option to take your own meter readings, usually every 3 months.

I have never had any major problems with them.

The only complaint I have is that the last time they came, they only read the electric meter.

You can check your bills quite easily online.

Npower have not ever taken any meter readings, this is part of the problem. I have been asking for a bill for 5 months after finally they took some readings from me.

You can easily do it online yourself.

It only takes a few minutes once you've created an online account which is very simple.

They will even email you if they want a reading.