Drugs - to legalise or not?

The idea isn't that different from the current practice of supplying methodone (is that right?) in order to ween people off heroin.

Would it really be the last generation of addicts though... It might work to reduce numbers at least as like you say, there would be no reason for dealers to deliberately get people hooked.

The idea isn't that different from the current practice of supplying methodone (is that right?) in order to ween people off heroin.

Would it really be the last generation of addicts though... It might work to reduce numbers at least as like you say, there would be no reason for dealers to deliberately get people hooked.

Cyclone,

Re: costs to produce vs cost to supply. I agree, in principle. But what about HIV medications costing only a few pounds to make, yet costing a few hundred to the NHS per month? The drug companies aren't going to make this stuff for the good of their health (no pun intended)

I also think dealers would still exist in some form. GP's wouldn't be able to prescribe en endless amount of the drug to suit individual requirements, that would be taking the ****. So, to top up their habit, the user would need to obtain more - hence the dealer.

Some people would end up barred from the service as a result of abusing the system, again, they'd need a dealer.

Unfortunately, I don't see a time when dealers won't be around. It certainly won't happen in my lifetime...

Dealers and users alike are swirling around in a cesspit of their own creation - what is the answer?.

To be honest, I don't know....

Re: Methadone usage. See this:http://www.getcured.com/methadon.htm

[quote=sTaGeWaLkEr

I also think dealers would still exist in some form. GP's wouldn't be able to prescribe en endless amount of the drug to suit individual requirements, that's taking the p*ss. So, to top up their habit, the user would need to obtain more - hence the dealer.

Why wouldn't they? Pharmalogically pure heroin has very little by way of adverse side effects and many long term users manage to hold down jobs,families and remain healthy. In fact they are probably in a much better state than people who still get benzodiazepines from the GP , so why not let them use it indefinitely? It is extremely cheap to synthesize.

It certainly sounds sensible, in that it would reduce the need for dealers. It might also minimise the incidence of crime associated with heroin addiction.

Presumably this system would be restricted to those who are already addicted to heroin; it wouldn't be a case of 'fancy trying heroin? See your GP!". There will always be those who wish to try whatever drug, so there will always be a need for these people to get the drug from somewhere, presumably from dealers.

Would the knowledge that, once addicted to heroin, the drug would be supplied by the GP actually encourage some people to take heroin?

Many of the health problems associated with heroin addiction are to do with contaminated needles etc. A legitimate supply of sterile needles would, of course, minimise this problem. However, sterile needles are availble now from certain sources, yet the problems surrounding needle contamination continues.

Some health problems associated with heroin addiction are not to do with needle contamination. Would a GP-regulated supply of heroin minimise these problems too, as the addict would presumably be monitored by the GP?

Problems may arise when the heroin addict's continued need for a greater amount of heroin to obtain the same high s/he's used to clashes with the GP's concern for the addict's health. Surely the programme would not continue to support the addict's ever-increasing demand for the drug?

There's also the problem of the public's reaction to the notion of GPs supplying heroin to addicts, as examplified by the reaction of this community to a proposed methadone clinic.

It certainly sounds sensible, in that it would reduce the need for dealers. It might also minimise the incidence of crime associated with heroin addiction.

Presumably this system would be restricted to those who are already addicted to heroin; it wouldn't be a case of 'fancy trying heroin? See your GP!". There will always be those who wish to try whatever drug, so there will always be a need for these people to get the drug from somewhere, presumably from dealers.

Would the knowledge that, once addicted to heroin, the drug would be supplied by the GP actually encourage some people to take heroin?

Many of the health problems associated with heroin addiction are to do with contaminated needles etc. A legitimate supply of sterile needles would, of course, minimise this problem. However, sterile needles are availble now from certain sources, yet the problems surrounding needle contamination continues.

Some health problems associated with heroin addiction are not to do with needle contamination. Would a GP-regulated supply of heroin minimise these problems too, as the addict would presumably be monitored by the GP?

Problems may arise when the heroin addict's continued need for a greater amount of heroin to obtain the same high s/he's used to clashes with the GP's concern for the addict's health. Surely the programme would not continue to support the addict's ever-increasing demand for the drug?

There's also the problem of the public's reaction to the notion of GPs supplying heroin to addicts, as examplified by the reaction of this community to a proposed methadone clinic.

Good points. I've no idea about the long-term clinical use of pharmaceutical grade heroin, and whether the dose would need to be increased. I think I remember hearing something about GPs being able to wean people off very gently, if they are prescribing, but will need to check.

As regards public opinion, I think there is definitely a stereotype of a heroin user, of the Trainspotting variety, which doesn't help. Neither the government nor our glorious media seem interested in sticking their necks out on this with a view to changing public attitudes and understanding - we should be demanding that they sort themselves out, as the current situation is costing us a fortune in financial and social terms.

One would hope that public reaction would be rather more favourable when people see the number of burglaries and muggings start to drop dramatically...

I agree, one would hope. But some will always see the words 'drugs' and 'heroin' in particular in big, bold tabloid headlines, instigating a Pavlovian nimby response.

Archived