Is weed really bad for you??

How do you equate "harming other people" with "footing the bill"?

Or when you say "harm" do you include in that "financial harm"?

Yep, sorry, I was talking specifically about financial loss.

I strongly like the notion of a society which gives individuals a greater liberty to choose how they want to live their lives; but with that comes greater responsibility. I don't like the notion that people can live recklessly, and then expect other people to pay the price for their own recklessness.

It's nothing against drug-use specifically, just a general principle, that I would apply equally, to other forms of recklessness.

It could be paid for through taxation. I'm not sure how it works with tobacco and alcohol, if revenue collected from the sale of tobacco and alcohol covers the cost of related treatments on the NHS? We could have something like that for other drugs, to ensure costs are covered.

I'm personally not a fan of the stuff, but I am strongly in favour of it being legalised, on the understanding that with use, comes the responsibility for effects (on society).

I agree. I work in a role where I see a lot of cannabis users and other drug users, and they are all monged, with some defiance and rebelliousness about them.

I disagree. I work in a role where I see a lot of cannabis users. They all have excellent jobs, families, nice cars and generous sized houses!!

Weird how there's an opposite side to the spectrum that people seem to ignore!!

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 11:59 ----------

Yep, sorry, I was talking specifically about financial loss.

I strongly like the notion of a society which gives individuals a greater liberty to choose how they want to live their lives; but with that comes greater responsibility. I don't like the notion that people can live recklessly, and then expect other people to pay the price for their own recklessness.

It's nothing against drug-use specifically, just a general principle, that I would apply equally, to other forms of recklessness.

It could be paid for through taxation. I'm not sure how it works with tobacco and alcohol, if revenue collected from the sale of tobacco and alcohol covers the cost of related treatments on the NHS? We could have something like that for other drugs, to ensure costs are covered.

I'm personally not a fan of the stuff, but I am strongly in favour of it being legalised, on the understanding that with use, comes the responsibility for effects (on society).

I don't know the exact figures either, but I bet diamonds that the cost of drug prohibition will be far more than the cost of controlling legalised drugs; including the cost of addict rehabilitation.

Archived