Stone handaxe..

I think I found one today in the Peaks. Well I'm not sure I did.. let me explain.

I tripped over a root whilst walking up near Stanage, and managed to land my knee right on a nice sharp ridge of rock. I said a few Rude Words after that it must be said, mainly because I was leaking copiously.

I've just realised why the shape of the rock looked so familiar and why I remembered just now. I was busy at the time stopping the leak so didn't realise but I'm certain that said rock was a shaped neolithinc hand axe.. rounded one end, flaked and pointed at the other....

Going to have to go back to look for it now. Wonder if I can follow the trail I left coming out, I can't remember where the thing was exactly. Anyone else ever found anything like this around Sheffield?

Not the same era I know but some years ago I was going through old car parts in a store room and came upon a load of Merlin engine plug leads and most of a Browning wing machine gun.

Archived