Skip hire recommendations in Sheffield - No advertising

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm looking at options for disposing of waste from my granddad's garden. Someone handily cleared it for him a year ago and dumped it all in a huge pile. We've been doing the garden again and there's quite a lot more. It's mainly garden waste (bits of trees, weeds, plants etc, but there is some wood and glass. There's too much to burn, and I'm just looking at options to get rid of it. My mum's only got a small car so there's no way to transport it ourselves. A skip is an option, but we'd only need to load it and have it taken away the same day, so the price seems a bit high. I'll need to purchase some large bags to put the rubbish in to transport it from the garden to the road.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to point out that Skips are not always the best option if you have light material, especially as more and more recyclers are being charged by weight rather than volume if they are taking waste in a van.

For wood waste and green waste, shredding on the job can save a lot of money and it can be turned into a product. Same with cardboard.

For reusable items, charity shops and charitable providers may collect your stuff. If its clean wood, sell it for firewood!

If you have a large amount of bricks and concrete etc, you can hire a crusher for the day and keep the crushed material to use in the garden or sell to a neighbour. Crushed Bricks etc can be used under a patio or decking....If your paying 180 for a skip and buying hardcore for 1y 00 (8 tonne) then your total cost is 280...a lot of money compared with merely crushing what you have on site.

If anyone gets in a situation where they need these types of services, look onlline at providers. In the coming months I can hopefully start shredding all my own wood to make briquettes etc. out of...Next year Ill be tackling the rubble crushing as a portable tool on sites.

Alex

I'd avoid Yorkshire Waste Co (YWC) unless you really love having a skip on your property. It took FIVE MONTHS of badgering them by telephone until they finally relented and collected our skip! Others on here have reported the same problem.