Syria megathread- is British government desperate for another war?

Military action in Syria ?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Military action in Syria ?

• None at all.
    • Limited air/cruise missile strikes.
    • As much, including ground troops, as is needed.

Obama brought new hope when he was elected.It seems he's going to be like all the other American Presidents.Warmomger, only interested in his ratings. Although, I'm glad it is going to a vote in the USA, because they will, undoubtedly, vote no.

There is a bit of a phenonium happening at the moment, world wide, where the people aren't being led into another disaster like sheep.

If anyone wants to fight on the side of the rebels, there are various transport opportunities at your disposal to get there. Please don't involve us though.

I don't agree with that, Obama has been placed in the position of trying to deal with a major world crisis, he didn't will that crisis to happen Hoping to resolve such massive suffering on innocent people,and struggling to make the right decision without making a situation worse must be an absolute nightmare.

I don't agree with that, Obama has been placed in the position of trying to deal with a major world crisis, he didn't will that crisis to happen Hoping to resolve such massive suffering on innocent people,and struggling to make the right decision without making a situation worse must be an absolute nightmare.
TBH, had he not ad-libed about his 'red line' way back when, he wouldn't have been placed in the situation he's now in.

That was as clear a case of putting one's foot in one's mouth as I have seen in a long time. He put himself in that position.

TBH, had he not ad-libed about his 'red line' way back when, he wouldn't have been placed in the situation he's now in.

That was as clear a case of putting one's foot in one's mouth as I have seen in a long time. He put himself in that position.

He's coming across as weak now. Its a pity, he started off with such promise and gave hope to a lot of people that things would change. He crashed and burned and is done for now.

He's coming across as weak now. Its a pity, he started off with such promise and gave hope to a lot of people that things would change. He crashed and burned and is done for now.
Yes he did, but can any politician ever realistically fulfil the hope and promises they give before they rise to power when they can't see into the future.

I don't think they fully realise what they are taking on at the time, ambition blinds them.

---------- Post added 12-09-2013 at 12:58 ----------

He's been outmanoeuvered by Putin, on a global scene positively burning under the media's spotlights no less, that is for sure.

If anything, proof that the KGB trained its people really very well, way back when :D

I notice he's aged a lot these past few weeks.:o Edited by janie48

Regime change or damaging a country for the benefit of others has always been long planned. The civilians and mainly children pay the price. The majority of the deaths are as a result of high Tech western weapons. Thanks to US tax payers and foreign policy dictated by Israel.

Obama\Cameron never pushed for a ceasefire in syria...wonder why?

http://rememberthesechildren.org/remember2009.html

The Israel Defense Forces has said that between that raid and the August 14 UN-brokered cease-fire, it launched more than 7,000 air attacks on Lebanese targets and the navy conducted about 2,500 bombardments.

The UN's children's fund, UNICEF, estimates that some 1,183 people died, mostly civilians and about a third of them children, while the Lebanese Higher Relief Council says 4,054 people were injured and 970,000 displaced. UN officials reported that around 15,000 civilian homes were destroyed.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/amnesty-israel-committed-war-crimes-in-lebanon-campaign-1.195683

Child Deaths Caused By American Wars

http://toobbox.com/blog/child-death-toll-of-iraq-and-afghanistan/

He's been outmanoeuvered by Putin, on a global scene positively burning under the media's spotlights no less, that is for sure.

If anything, proof that the KGB trained its people really very well, way back when :D

People are saying even here that Obama is indecisive and weak. I dont think so. He's essentially a pragmatist in the truest sense.

He didnt blunder into Syria in the first place. He respected the UN security council vote of no intervention which Russia and China with their votes made sure got passed

He was also aware that getting involved in yet another middle east war was against majority public opinion.

He was also aware that the Syrian rebels are a group known to be infiltrated by Al Qaeda members and sympathisers

I think the writing at long last is on the wall. American leaders are now realizing that they cannot solve the world's problems nor are they the world's policeman. They've been doing too long what the United Nations of Babble was originally set up to do and should have effectively been doing for the past 60 years.

It's a healthy development. It will mean less loss of American lives, saves billions of dollars better spent at home and a new policy that if foreign conflicts do not have the potential of threatening US security then let them fight their wars until they wipe each other off the face of the earth

Edited by Harleyman

People are saying even here that Obama is indecisive and weak. I dont think so. He's essentially a pragmatist in the truest sense.<etc.>
A loss of face (even if only perceived) is highly important to some cultures.

Particularly that of a billions-populated country to the south of Russia, which will eventually throw its gauntlet on the Pacific table.

Remember what happened the last time the US retreated from its few imperialist ventures (yes, there were a few) into outright isolationism, and got to be perceived by all and sundry as neutral and most likely to remain so?

Mark my words: in realpolitik terms, in years to come, this clear and unequivocal back-tracking by Obama (all laudable that it is, and I agree with the 'pragmatic' points you have put across) will come back to haunt the US, if not the world.

Note that this is not a criticism as such, nor a complaint or argument that the "US should just go in and sort it". It's just an observation about an expected consequence, because I've never known any action (or inaction) occur in a vacuum.

[cynicism overdose]

It would not surprise me one bit to eventually learn that Assad's chemical attack was a maskirovka with the full knowledge and backing of Putin/the FSB (maybe even at their initiative, who knows?), precisely calculated to exploit Obama's ad lib and to have the effects/outcome it's had. After all, what's with gassing a few hundred civilians more, in a game of brinksmanship/realpolitik played at that level.

I mean, is it just me who finds the fact that Assad is OK in principle with the idea of Russia getting control of and 'destroying' all of Syria's WMDs, less than 2 days after the mere idea was proposed by Putin (that most steadfast and longest of long-time allies of Assad), check-mating Obama very publicly in the process, a bit convenient?

[/cynicism overdose]

Edited by L00b

Regime change or damaging a country for the benefit of others has always been long planned. The civilians and mainly children pay the price. The majority of the deaths are as a result of high Tech western weapons. Thanks to US tax payers and foreign policy dictated by Israel.

Obama\Cameron never pushed for a ceasefire in syria..wonder why?.

http://rememberthesechildren.org/remember2009.html

I really don't know, I certainly don't believe they don't care about the deaths of all those children.

I've always thought more attention should have been paid to the crisis by the arrangement of peace talks much earlier in the conflict before it reached this stage.

Now we are hearing about this 4 stage plan, so hopefully something will be resolved before it gets worse.http://www.syrianews.cc/syrias-chemical-arsenal-russia-step-plan-deal/