Have I been ripped off?

Dan_R

Got to remember there is a difference between an MOT failure (a brake lining or pad insecure or less than 1.5 mm thick at any point, a brake disc or drum in such a condition that it is seriously weakened or insecure) and the manufacturers specifications of when components should be renewed.

The choice is up to you, if not happy its easy enough to complain in the proper manner about an MOT using VT17 and VOSA themselves will have it inspected then proceed from there.

Depends on your driving-style, if you are on the M1 a lot, like me, you will know that there are plenty of emergency stops/slow-downs during rush hour, they are not kind to brakes. Also I had a similar situation some years ago, turned out the disc was damaged by something caught between the calliper and disc that had cut a groove in the disc over time.

I also believe that the balancing of the wheels can have an impact?

You should barely have to touch your brakes on the motorway, unless you are moron.

You should barely have to touch your brakes on the motorway, unless you are moron.

It is somewhat difficult to avoid this if some idiot in the outside lane sudden cuts in front of you for whatever reason. Plenty of them around. Usually to turn off at the next exit in 100 yards or less.

I would think discs would last more than 13k miles, pads could wear out after that mileage though (possibly)

There is a minimum thickness for discs and when they reach that point

you are supposed to change them, this is overridden by any other damage

that may have occurred.

Over the years I have known more than a few mechanics working at main dealers. The stories they have told me lead me to believe that there is a culture in some dealerships to "rip off" customers. This has been well documented on various TV productions. Luckily most are honest if a bit expensive.

As for independents, well find a good one and stick to it. They are just as fallible and some are atrocious.

I recently took a car to a main dealer for a well known fault to be rectified, when booking it in I asked how much and was quoted a reasonable price.

I knew someone else with the same car same fault so told them how much it cost. When they booked at a different main dealer it was £40 more !!

Exactly same job :roll:

So in that case it was worth the trip to Sheffield to get the job done.

I use main dealers when I have to, and have been generally happy. For other stuff I have two independent garages that I trust

and use often, plus a chap on here. Neither have ever tried to rip me off, in fact they have on occasions told me stuff did not need doing yet.

I was thinking of recording my commute, might actually have to do that now. Firstly I'd like to ask how many of you actually drive on the M1 during rush hour, I am assuming very few of you judging by your replies.

If you think you don't make emergency stops on the M1 during rush hour you are actually either very mistaken, or dead. Very few emergency stops are actual stops, but there are plenty where you have to get from 70-80 miles an hour to 30-40. I always aim to leave plenty of space, but the road gets busy and space is often at a premium.

I am the first to admit I am usually traveling slightly over the speed-limit and if I changed that behaviour I'd find myself in fewer of those situations. My commute would also lengthen from 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 and a half hours though.

If you think you don't make emergency stops on the M1 during rush hour you are actually either very mistaken, or dead. Very few emergency stops are actual stops, but there are plenty where you have to get from 70-80 miles an hour to 30-40. I always aim to leave plenty of space, but the road gets busy and space is often at a premium.

I am the first to admit I am usually traveling slightly over the speed-limit and if I changed that behaviour I'd find myself in fewer of those situations. My commute would also lengthen from 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 and a half hours though.

If you left the required distance between yourself and the car in front you would not need to brake hard. That, of course, does not prevent some idiot pulling sharply in front of you.

You would get there safely and probably more relaxed!

I think, at some time or other, when the road is relatively clear, most of us drive faster that we should.

If you left the required distance between yourself and the car in front you would not need to brake hard. That, of course, does not prevent some idiot pulling sharply in front of you.

Exactly, leave the 'recommended' distance and it will momentarily be filled by someone.

That said, until recently I regularly drove on the M1 in the rush hour, and very rarely had to do anything resembling an emergency stop. Look more than a few cars ahead and you can generally see that there is a slow down and react with plenty of time to spare.

Archived