Fires in the US

Watching the fires spread over in America I was wondering how little we can do about it once it gets as big and bad as it has, the planes dropping retardent are dwarfed by it.

Then I thought, what if they were to explode one of those large bombs above the ground that they did over the caves in Afganistan to kill Binlarden ?

I remember the news saying the US was exploding these bombes over the caving systems as they used up all the oxygen really quickly and would suffercate anyone thought to be safely holed up in the caves. So wouldn't something like this work the same over one of these fires in the same way and wouldn't such an explosion flatten much of the foliage and have the added benefit of taking away or at least take to the ground the fual source ?

Anyone have any ideas why this would not work if the area had been evacuated and enough notice given ?

Oh right, thanks :)

Still do you think flattening the trees that would be lost anyhow could help in giving a fire break ?

Surely if the fire had to spread on the ground it would help slow the spread in order to be managed from the air. While ever the trees are up right they are able to draw more oxygen to fual it and leap over any man made fire breaks, roads, ect.

Watching the fires spread over in America I was wondering how little we can do about it once it gets as big and bad as it has, the planes dropping retardent are dwarfed by it.

Then I thought, what if they were to explode one of those large bombs above the ground that they did over the caves in Afganistan to kill Binlarden ?

I remember the news saying the US was exploding these bombes over the caving systems as they used up all the oxygen really quickly and would suffercate anyone thought to be safely holed up in the caves. So wouldn't something like this work the same over one of these fires in the same way and wouldn't such an explosion flatten much of the foliage and have the added benefit of taking away or at least take to the ground the fual source ?

Anyone have any ideas why this would not work if the area had been evacuated and enough notice given ?

I would imagine that if your idea had been feasible it would have been seriously considered already

The worst fire in years is now raging near Yosemirte Park which at this time of year is full of visitors but as far as I know the park has not been ordered to be evacuated.

Around 3,000 firefighters are battling the blaze

The problem is that there have been three years of drought conditions and everything is tinder dry

I remember seeing a TV programme presented by David Attenbrough saying that burning is a

natural process for some types of tree. The tree resin is readily combustible and helps

promote fire in exceptionally hot dry summers.

Now consider what happens when humans intervene and prevent 'natural' forest fires.

There will be a build up of readily combustible material and eventually humans can

no longer prevent a forest fire, thus when a fire does occur its a sort of 'Superfire',

the type you are seeing now across the USA.

I remember seeing a TV programme presented by David Attenbrough saying that burning is a

natural process for some types of tree. The tree resin is readily combustible and helps

promote fire in exceptionally hot dry summers.

Now consider what happens when humans intervene and prevent 'natural' forest fires.

There will be a build up of readily combustible material and eventually humans can

no longer prevent a forest fire, thus when a fire does occur its a sort of 'Superfire',

the type you are seeing now across the USA.

A great problem is that some of these fires occur close to residences, making natural burning out of the question. Lots of people like being in their homes shaded by trees. It keeps some of the heat down, but it'a very risky away fom a nearby hydrant. I wouldn't do it, I keep my home out of the forest.

Archived