Sheffield Speed Camera - Not a money maker

I wonder if it's one of those cases where money could have better been spent improving the junction, rather than putting a speed camera in as it was somewhere accidents occurred.

It's not really sited at a junction.

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 07:25 ----------

Its easy money, and why not criminalise people, helps the insurance industry keep profits high, which feeds back to backing politicians, either local or not.

Sheffield has a lot to learn from Nottingham, where cameras almost check for indecent goings on. They are the future.

What's the point of almost doing something? And what indecent goings on are illegal and need enforcing with cameras?

It's just before, and if it was placed because there was lots of accidents there then maybe the money would have been better spent improving the traffic flow there????

Was that junction there before the camera was put in? I can't remember when the road changed...

A police chief has defended the use of a controversial Sheffield speed camera which caught 15,000 motorists in three years.

Story here

Drivers have questioned whether the camera on the A57 Sheffield Parkway was needed and if it was a ‘money-making scheme’ after new figures showed it had snapped the ninth-highest number of motorists of any camera in the country.

I am no fan of speed cameras but i dont think that the complaints about this one can be justified.

It has been there for 20 odd years, it is not hidden and is well noticeable with warning signs along the route. The speed limit is very clear with huge signs at each side of the road and painted onto the road surface.

Is this just 15,000 stupid or blind motorists getting prosecuted or do they have valid reasons for their complaint?

I think this is one of the best places cameras I have ever seen. Its obvious, its on an easy to see part of the road and its there for an obvious reason, to slow the traffic coming to the junction.

I think this is one of the best places cameras I have ever seen. Its obvious, its on an easy to see part of the road and its there for an obvious reason, to slow the traffic coming to the junction.

See my post #23...I seem to remember the camera being there before the junction...it's just after the 40mph limit.. that may have been the original reason for it's installation..

See my post #23...I seem to remember the camera being there before the junction...it's just after the 40mph limit.. that may have been the original reason for it's installation..

the 40mps signs are approx 300 yards before the camera. Even if you hit the 40mph section and just take your foot off the accelerator and coast up to the camera, you'll be going slower than 40mph.

Archived