Sheffield Council's 1.2 Million Profits from Parking Permits!

Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?

Aren't the Green Party in control at Brighton and Hove, where the parking permit prices are:

Resident - £90 0r £120 per annum

Business - £300 per annum

Trade - £600 per annum

See: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/parking-and-travel/parking/parking-charges-2012-question-answers

and

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/brighton-hove.gov.uk/files/Resident%20Permit%20Application%20Form%2013-14.pdf

Would you contend that Sheffield's £36 for a resident permit and £72 for a business permit are excessive compared to these?

Most things are more expensive down south (have you ever bought a pint in London?)

Resident Permits in Sheffield city centre are £150 per annum though, I think that wins the prize for most extortionate.

I don't know the history or circumstances in Brighton, but our view in Sheffield is that is not fair to ask residents in parking scheme areas to subsidise citywide transport spending.

Most things are more expensive down south (have you ever bought a pint in London?)

Resident Permits in Sheffield city centre are £150 per annum though, I think that wins the prize for most extortionate.

I don't know the history or circumstances in Brighton, but our view in Sheffield is that is not fair to ask residents in parking scheme areas to subsidise citywide transport spending.

Well ive bought many pints down South and find it no more expensive than Sheffield

I thought it was £36. I assume you have a link to the £150 cost ? Or do I just put you down as yet another under the bridge living type ?

You clearly haven't done much research if that's what you think.

Have a look at Manchester's prices for city centre permits: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/474/parking_at_your_home/596/residents_and_visitors_parking_permits/5

Theirs are up to £750 per annum, which makes Sheffield's look more like a bargain than being extortionate.

Can you share with us exactly how much money it would remove from the Council's budget if you reduced the Sheffield permit prices to the level you suggest?

I thought it was £36. I assume you have a link to the £150 cost ? Or do I just put you down as yet another under the bridge living type ?

Here is the link to the permit prices: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking/parking-permits/resident.html

You will note that Councillor Murphy is wrong about the price. City Centre permits are either £100 or £200, depending on which zone. These costs are halved for emissions category A or B vehicles.

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 12:46 ----------

Brighton isn't London though, is it?

£150 isn''t the correct price for a Sheffeld City Centre permit.

So, you clearly feel that £10 for a residents permit is a reasonable fee. Can you share with us exactly how much it costs the Council to produce and administer a residents permit?