Sheffield Council's 1.2 Million Profits from Parking Permits!

Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?

Here is the link to the permit prices: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking/parking-permits/resident.html

You will note that Councillor Murphy is wrong about the price. City Centre permits are either £100 or £200, depending on which zone. These costs are halved for emissions category A or B vehicles.

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 12:46 ----------

Brighton isn't London though, is it?

£150 isn''t the correct price for a Sheffeld City Centre permit.

So, you clearly feel that £10 for a residents permit is a reasonable fee. Can you share with us exactly how much it costs the Council to produce and administer a residents permit?

Ooops me bad. A bit out of date with the cost of city centre permits. I kind of assumed that charging people living in social housing in the city centre £150 a year to park their car outside their house might be enough. I was wrong.

We're still waiting for up-to-date figures on the cost of running the Permit Parking Zones, but it is certainly a lot less than the Council makes from permits, fines and parking meters inside the zones.

---------- Post added 09-02-2014 at 00:58 ----------

Could you post it on here when it happens.

Sure. It will be available on the Council website too, as are our previous budget amendments.

Ooops me bad. A bit out of date with the cost of city centre permits. I kind of assumed that charging people living in social housing in the city centre £150 a year to park their car outside their house might be enough. I was wrong.

So, you decry a prices as extortionate when you don't even know what it is. I see.

Can you tell us the split between social housing and private housing in the city centre? Do you think people in social housing should get permits cheaper than those in private sector rented or owned accommodation?

Also, could you answer the previous question about the actual price of producing and administering a parking permit?

So why are we still paying £25 million each year for debt built up from the student games.

Who's we? I thought you lived in Derbyshire with Uptowngirl, Vincent d'Oro and others.

---------- Post added 09-02-2014 at 07:50 ----------

Sure. It will be available on the Council website too, as are our previous budget amendments.

I'd prefer a link on here as I'm not going looking for it.

Also, could you answer the previous question about the actual price of producing and administering a parking permit?

IN 2012, the Council quoted the figure for "PCN and Perit Processing Costs" at £153,368

The related income was £1900000

Unfortunately, depsite repeated requested, the council will not (and it seems cannot) break the cost (not price - we all know the price - its what we pay) of producing and administering the parking permits.

So - ignoring what other cities do, as this thread is about Sheffield, the council is fleecing those of us who have this undesired scheme put upon us.

Can you tell us the split between social housing and private housing in the city centre? Do you think people in social housing should get permits cheaper than those in private sector rented or owned accommodation?

No , there shouldnt be a difference in price.................... NO ONE should have to pay the councils parking stealth Tax .

I don't know the history or circumstances in Brighton, but our view in Sheffield is that is not fair to ask residents in parking scheme areas to subsidise citywide transport spending.

But you are quite happy to charge people to park outside their homes to subsidise council coffers , so the council have no grounds to comment on whats fair and whats not.

But you are quite happy to charge people to park outside their homes to subsidise council coffers , so the council have no grounds to comment on whats fair and whats not.

It is an interesting point you make.

Cllr Rob is happy to charge some of the city 'some amount' but complains about what that 'some amount' should be.

So, instead of treating everyone in the city the same, he is just trying to buy some political capital by, in effect, saying "We will still charge you, but we won't be as expensive as the other parties"

What we want is for the permit schemes to be free for residents or to be removed...

GOT IT?