Sheffield Council's 1.2 Million Profits from Parking Permits!

Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?

So if it's such a hassle, why do it? And don't give me that old 'residents asked for it, so we had to do it' answer - residents asked for weekly bin collections as well but they didn't get them. The answer, of course, is given in the thread title.

Were the residents that asked for weekly bins also going to pay the extra cost of such?

Oh and the title is misleading. It's already been stated LONG AGO that the income wasn't just from permits.

All the above workers can be found in the private secter although their title may differ.

For instance a builder, plumber carer etc can be called out to an emergancy situation, the firm I used to work at for instance were some times called out to shore up dangerious structures and you can bet Nuffields millions that we would get parking tickets while at the same time the council vehicles would be ignored.

One rule for all workers should be the norm.

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 09:02 ----------

How much does it cost to print a permit sticker.

i think you've misunderstood those same plumbers/builders also have free parking at their place of work, council vehicles are not ignored if they are parked illegally then they will be ticketed the same i know of a few people who have used their passes in the wrong car park and received tickets.

the post insinuated (wrongly) that all council workers have free parking while doing nothing

Also, could you answer the previous question about the actual price of producing and administering a parking permit?

Could you please give a breakdown of the costs involved in producing and posting out a permit please. ?

Can you prove this process costs the £36 the householder is charged. ?

If a breakdown of how it costs £36 to produce and post out a permit cannot be shown can we assume the council is creaming profit from householders by charging them vastly more than the cost of producing and posting the permit. ?

Maybe Cllr Rob can provide this evidence if you cannot point us in the right direction . I have also , on 4 occasions emailed the council asking for a breakdown of costs for administering the permit, but surprise ,surprise i have never once received a response . I wonder why that may be.

i think you've misunderstood those same plumbers/builders also have free parking at their place of work, council vehicles are not ignored if they are parked illegally then they will be ticketed the same i know of a few people who have used their passes in the wrong car park and received tickets.

the post insinuated (wrongly) that all council workers have free parking while doing nothing

A builders place of work can be on High Street or Pinstone Street for example.

If on an emergancy he needs his van ,lorry on site so as to carry out the job in hand.

Just the same as a Council employee would.

Could you please give a breakdown of the costs involved in producing and posting out a permit please. ?

Can you prove this process costs the £36 the householder is charged. ?

Why would you think I can cost these up?

If a breakdown of how it costs £36 to produce and post out a permit cannot be shown can we assume the council is creaming profit from householders by charging them vastly more than the cost of producing and posting the permit. ?

Of course you are (deliberately as usual) forgetting that the actual cost of producing and administering a permit is not the only cost involved in providing and operating a permit scheme.

Apart form the costs of designing, consulting on and installing a scheme, which can be huge, there are substantial costs involved in enforcing and maintaining the schemes.

Maybe Cllr Rob can provide this evidence if you cannot point us in the right direction.

Well, as he's the one proposing that they should be £10, you would hope that he can. I hope you have better luck in getting a response than I have.

I have also , on 4 occasions emailed the council asking for a breakdown of costs for administering the permit, but surprise ,surprise i have never once received a response . I wonder why that may be.

Really?

There could be a number of reasons for that:

• You are not telling the truth (and we know you have plenty of previous form on that front)
  • You haven't asked the right question
  • You haven't asked the right people

If you send in an FOI request You should get an answer within the prescribed timescale. However, you have to ask the right question as they don't have to give you information they don't hold.

That's a fair point but if the revenue from permits doesn't pay for the scheme then others are subsidising those in the scheme areas either by paying towards the scheme or by having services reduced. I'd like to know what the cost actually is in line with previous questions. If the scheme costs more than £10 per permit why should others pay towards this? I don't see any other reason than the Greens think their constituents should be subsidised in order to maximise the Green vote.

The revenue from permits is just one part of the income generated by parking schemes. Our argument is that the costs and income from the schemes should be equal. Then one part of the city is not subsidising another.

A builders place of work can be on High Street or Pinstone Street for example.

If on an emergancy he needs his van ,lorry on site so as to carry out the job in hand.

Just the same as a Council employee would.

:confused:jesus you still don't understand it do you, the issue is not to do with where council workers park when they have to leave the office the issue is when they return they have a place close to their office in case they have to leave quickly in an emergency or if they have various appointments

If you send in an FOI request You should get an answer within the prescribed timescale. However, you have to ask the right question as they don't have to give you information they don't hold.

So the council dont know how much it costs them to produce and post out a permit. ? Why does this not surprise me.

Dont they keep a record of expenses ?

:confused:jesus you still don't understand it do you, the issue is not to do with where council workers park when they have to leave the office the issue is when they return they have a place close to their office in case they have to leave quickly in an emergency or if they have various appointments

No need to bring Jesus into it.

The above also applies to all who act in emergency situations.

So the council dont know how much it costs them to produce and post out a permit. ? Why does this not surprise me.

Dont they keep a record of expenses ?

That isn't what I said.

They know exactly what their costs are.

However, what people often do on an FOI is to ask a specific question that they find important or useful, but the Council may not, so haven't needed to work out the answer, even though they hold all the data needed to do it.

So for example, they will know all the costs associated with designing, installing, operating and maintaining a permit zone, but they may not have the answer to a specific question like "how much it costs them to produce and post out a permit", because that information is of no value to them, so they don't work it out.

information which will be of value is items like:

• how many staff hours are required to administer permit applications
  • how many staff hours are needed to deal with enquiries
  • How much the materials and postage costs are
  • what the overhead costs are (like office accommodation, computers, telephones, energy costs, management costs etc)

All of these are known and are managed actively to ensure best value is obtained.

The fact that they don't have the answer to a question you find interesting does not mean that they are incompetent or lacking in any way, it just means that the law doesn't require them to give you information they don't hold, even if they do have the data which would enable them to work it out.

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 01:00 ----------

So if it's such a hassle, why do it? And don't give me that old 'residents asked for it, so we had to do it' answer - residents asked for weekly bin collections as well but they didn't get them. The answer, of course, is given in the thread title.

As others have said. That is not a fair comparison.

You may not like permit parking zones, but many people find them a benefit. People did ask for them and they continue to do so. It may be the same old same old, but it happens to be the truth. People want permit parking because they are tired of their areas being blighted by people from outside the area parking there.

The Council provided the service on the very important condition that the people who benefit pay something towards the costs.

The Council incur massive costs in providing permit zones and they need massive income to cover those costs.