Sheffield Council's 1.2 Million Profits from Parking Permits!

Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?

If you buy a home or a business without on-site parking, you pay significantly less than you do for similar premises that have.

That’s good news. Of course, the bad news is that you don’t have anywhere exclusive to park. Certainly, you have no more right to a parking-place outside your home or business – or even in the same street or neighbourhood – than any other road user.

In those circumstances, it does not seem to me to be unreasonable for some residents and local businesses to get some priority or exclusivity in on-street parking. However, it is not unreasonable for the rest of us to expect those residents and businesses who are gaining a considerable benefit – and often at the cost of a dis-benefit to the rest of us to pay for the schemes.

I leave those with knowledge and expertise to establish whether the Sheffield schemes are being subsidised or otherwise.

However, given the political debate that this has generated, I’ve just quickly looked at the Permit charges of some other authorities with different political controls.

I’m most interested in business permits, but I’ve included both resident and business permit charges. For obvious reasons, I excluded London.

Resident Permit Business Permit (Low emission)

Sheffield £36 £72 (£36)

Brighton* £120 £300 (£150)

Portsmouth** £0-£107.50 £107.50 - £325

CheshireEast*** £50 £80

*Green Party flagship council

**Largest Liberal Democrat controlled council

***With Calderdale (website down) about the nearest Conservative-controlled council to Sheffield

Draw your own conclusions.

you do know putting this reasoned argument across will see you accused of working for the council (Sheffield forum logic ):hihi:

you do know putting this reasoned argument across will see you accused of working for the council (Sheffield forum logic ):hihi:

Nope, just that as with all things, you can easily provide selective statistics.

Did you know the average person has less than 2 legs?

p.s. I love the use of the word - reasoned - it could so easily have been 'distorted'.

But parking services isnt just PARKING PERMITS is it. ? It covers the whole of parking enforcement in the city, so to "Suggest" the £4m per annum is what it costs to enforce permits is misleading to sat the least ,and some may say an attempt by the council to muddy the waters .

They calculated that that it costs around £1.2m to administer and enforce the permit zones. Permit fees bring in circa £460k.

Given the logic (sic) adopted by some posters, your hypothesis is well-formulated.

However, as any half-decent philosopher or statistician will tell you, there are big differences between half-baked suspicion, correlation and causation.

So, for the avoidance of doubt, I'm very, very happy to confirm that - apart from a temporary, part-time job in 1971 with a special school - I don't and have never worked for the council.

But, I do like to deal with facts, not supposition.

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 12:51 ----------

Nope, just that as with all things, you can easily provide selective statistics.

Did you know the average person has less than 2 legs?

p.s. I love the use of the word - reasoned - it could so easily have been 'distorted'.

So, we all look forward to your production of the appropriate statistics in order that we can make a judgement.

Given the logic (sic) adopted by some posters, your hypothesis is well-formulated.

However, as any half-decent philosopher or statistician will tell you, there are big differences between half-baked suspicion, correlation and causation.

So, for the avoidance of doubt, I'm very, very happy to confirm that - apart from a temporary, part-time job in 1971 with a special school - I don't and have never worked for the council.

But, I do like to deal with facts, not supposition.

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 12:51 ----------

So, we all look forward to your production of the appropriate statistics in order that we can make a judgement.

Permits in Stockport are mostly free and the maximum cost is £31/yr. Lib Dems are the biggest party there although the council is currently in no overall control.

Good luck with that - most of the people posting on this thread are just here to attack the council, they don't need facts, figures, statistics or evidence to believe that SCC are wrong, they just want everyone to accept it without question.

If you buy a home or a business without on-site parking, you pay significantly less than you do for similar premises that have.

That’s good news. Of course, the bad news is that you don’t have anywhere exclusive to park. Certainly, you have no more right to a parking-place outside your home or business – or even in the same street or neighbourhood – than any other road user.

In those circumstances, it does not seem to me to be unreasonable for some residents and local businesses to get some priority or exclusivity in on-street parking. However, it is not unreasonable for the rest of us to expect those residents and businesses who are gaining a considerable benefit – and often at the cost of a dis-benefit to the rest of us to pay for the schemes.

I leave those with knowledge and expertise to establish whether the Sheffield schemes are being subsidised or otherwise.

However, given the political debate that this has generated, I’ve just quickly looked at the Permit charges of some other authorities with different political controls.

I’m most interested in business permits, but I’ve included both resident and business permit charges. For obvious reasons, I excluded London.

Resident Permit Business Permit (Low emission)

Sheffield £36 £72 (£36)

Brighton* £120 £300 (£150)

Portsmouth** £0-£107.50 £107.50 - £325

CheshireEast*** £50 £80

*Green Party flagship council

**Largest Liberal Democrat controlled council

***With Calderdale (website down) about the nearest Conservative-controlled council to Sheffield

Draw your own conclusions.

A quick look at the council web site shows that this comparison is apples and oranges. The city centre permit zones for Sheffield are up to £200 :o and additional permits are £72. So comparing that with Portsmouth where the min cost is £0 and the max is £107.50. Sheffield comes out pretty expensive. That's the conclusion I draw.

From the council report on the CONsultation for the Netherthorpe Parking Scam

-------------------------------------

2900 leaflets were distributed -

In total 6 people were in support of the scheme, 57 did not support the scheme and 19 raised comments and questions regarding the design/operation of the scheme.

So...

0.2% of people wanted it

1.9% didn't want it

so 90% of those that responded didn't want it

97.9% expressed no opinion.

-----------------------------------------------

And yet they decided to implement it - that's democracy!!?

Although Planner1 has always told us - this is not a democratic process - they are only consulting.

i.e. they will implement it no matter what!

---------------------------------------

So you can catch up on the rest of the debate

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1313085

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=265184

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=357537

Edited by Litotes