Sheffield Council's 1.2 Million Profits from Parking Permits!

Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1.2 Million profit from Sheffield Parking Permits acceptable?

The money that pays for permit schemes and other projects can't be spent on maintenance.

You get to vote for the things you want when there are central or local government elections. Make sure the candidate you vote for shares your views.

The idea of giving everyone a vote on everything the Council does is plainly ridiculous. The cost and amount of time it would take are prohibitive.

That's equally ridiculous though, no political party at central or local government level will share your views, at best they may have some broadly similar views...

As far as these permits for the zones goes, are they the same as those used at the Children's Hospital for parking outside (i.e. a sheet where you scratch off the relevant date/time?), and are they specifically listed in it for a particular street or area? I noticed one in a car just inside the scheme off Charlotte Road yesterday, and it looked pretty similar?

By paying for a permit, does that guarantee you a spot on the street, or is that still down to available spaces - if not, what's the point of paying for it? Presumably the council can work out how many cars a street can take, and would only issue that number of permits?

I'd hate to get one of these schemes on our road, but with an increasingly busy sports ground at the top (with inconsiderate parkers from there), and an increasing number of taxis and vans parking on the street, we'll probably get it eventually...

Edited by sheff71

That's equally ridiculous though, no political party at central or local government level will share your views, at best they may have some broadly similar views...

As far as these permits for the zones goes, are they the same as those used at the Children's Hospital for parking outside (i.e. a sheet where you scratch off the relevant date/time?), and are they specifically listed in it for a particular street or area? I noticed one in a car just inside the scheme off Charlotte Road yesterday, and it looked pretty similar?

By paying for a permit, does that guarantee you a spot on the street, or is that still down to available spaces - if not, what's the point of paying for it? Presumably the council can work out how many cars a street can take, and would only issue that number of permits?

I'd hate to get one of these schemes on our road, but with an increasingly busy sports ground at the top (with inconsiderate parkers from there), and an increasing number of taxis and vans parking on the street, we'll probably get it eventually...

That's the democratic process. Your elected representatives make the decisions.

The permits you mention are visitor permits, which are the scratch cards. Normal resident or business permits are like a tax disc.

You are not guaranteed a space by having a permit. People understand this when they are consulted on whether they want a scheme. Permit schemes work best where the problem is caused by people from outside the area, probably commuters or shoppers. If the issue is that residents just have too many vehicles, it probably wouldn't be useful to have a scheme.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheff71

The permits you mention are visitor permits, which are the scratch cards. Normal resident or business permits are like a tax disc.

You are not guaranteed a space by having a permit. People understand this when they are consulted on whether they want a scheme. Permit schemes work best where the problem is caused by people from outside the area, probably commuters or shoppers. If the issue is that residents just have too many vehicles, it probably wouldn't be useful to have a scheme.

how about only issuing 1 permit and 1 visitor permit per house?, or is it the real reason scc want max money from max permits issued

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Slightly contradictory that isn't it? - they are meant to represent you (hence your use of the word representative) and yet they pay no attention to you when you ask them to choose a particular way to make a decision.

There is no transparency in the way they decide.

I have asked my councillors for the rationale on why they have made decisions before and basically been told its none of my business...

Overall not very demoratic... SCC must love it!

common sence projects instead of pet projects might be a good start

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I'm curious as well what pet projects are you thinking of, I suspect the works paid for by the council benefit some-one not just the councillors.

---------- Post added 01-09-2013 at 18:26 ----------

I have asked my councillors for the rationale on why they have made decisions before and basically been told its none of my business...

Overall not very demoratic... SCC must love it!

What were you asking about, was it something that had a direct impact on you or was it something broader. All I can ssay is that if a councillor truly told me to mind my own business then i would take it much further. They may of not been able to give you an answer on some matters but suspect they'd also give you the reason as to why they couldn't reply.

Cheers for clarifying that - it makes sense (re: the scratch cards).

I would be pretty narked though if i'd paid for a permit, and then couldn't park because friends of neighbours were using their visitor permits! Must be a thankless task being one of these wardens, I bet they get dog's abuse!

Just out of interest, how does it work in these permit zones if you have a dropped kerb? Obviously you don't need a permit to park on your own drive, but how does it stand if you had say a second car, and that was parked across the drive - would that require a permit (or is that just really unlikely to happen?).

I'm curious as well what pet projects are you thinking of, I suspect the works paid for by the council benefit some-one not just the councillors..

Councillors are only interested in furthering their own career`s ,and the only time they have any interest in the public is when its election time and they want your vote . Once they have it they concentrate on trying to climb the greasy pole ,much the same as MP`s do.

Just out of interest, how does it work in these permit zones if you have a dropped kerb? Obviously you don't need a permit to park on your own drive, but how does it stand if you had say a second car, and that was parked across the drive - would that require a permit (or is that just really unlikely to happen?).

Nowadays, in permit zones, they tend to put a single yellow line across the dropped kerb, so you can park across the end of your drive without a permit outside the scheme operating hours. Permits are only needed in permit only and mixed use parking bays.