Racism claim in Scottish ketchup war

A man from Glasgow says that he feels "racially persecuted" after he asked for tomato ketchup in an Edinburgh chip shop only to be told there was a 25p surcharge for the red stuff. However there is no charge for the brown stuff!!

"Tony Winters, an electrical engineer, was told he would have to pay a 25p surcharge for tomato ketchup in an Edinburgh chippie. He now plans to take his complaint to trading standards officers.

The incident has prompted Edinburgh law firms to debate “saucegate”, as it has been dubbed, as a test case for Scottish human rights."

“I’m feeling racially persecuted because of a condiment,” said Mr Winters as he explained how he had been denied his beloved chip accompaniment. He added: “You can’t offer one customer brown sauce for nothing and then charge another for tomato sauce. I said I thought it was racist that if you come from Edinburgh you can get brown sauce free but people from elsewhere, who like ketchup, have to pay.”

This could possibly be the most important issue ever brought to light. I can't wait to see the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights as it must surely go there.

A man from Glasgow says that he feels "racially persecuted" after he asked for tomato ketchup in an Edinburgh chip shop only to be told there was a 25p surcharge for the red stuff. However there is no charge for the brown stuff!!

"Tony Winters, an electrical engineer, was told he would have to pay a 25p surcharge for tomato ketchup in an Edinburgh chippie. He now plans to take his complaint to trading standards officers.

The incident has prompted Edinburgh law firms to debate “saucegate”, as it has been dubbed, as a test case for Scottish human rights."

“I’m feeling racially persecuted because of a condiment,” said Mr Winters as he explained how he had been denied his beloved chip accompaniment. He added: “You can’t offer one customer brown sauce for nothing and then charge another for tomato sauce. I said I thought it was racist that if you come from Edinburgh you can get brown sauce free but people from elsewhere, who like ketchup, have to pay.”

This could possibly be the most important issue ever brought to light. I can't wait to see the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights as it must surely go there.

This has been going on for a long time in shops one is more expensive than the other it seems bad now but in Heinz sight it'll all be ok! but if brown sauce gets any dearer you'll have to take out HP.:hihi:

Tony Winters, an electrical engineer, was told he would have to pay a 25p surcharge for tomato ketchup in an Edinburgh chippie.

That chippie can do what it likes surely? They can stick a £25 surcharge on if they want, it's their business (literally).

And since when have the citizens of Edinburgh and Glasgow been different "races"?

You can tell it's the Silly season when stuff like this crops up in The Independent.

What a bloody fool. As if there aren't more important things going on in the world this idiot has to make a drama out of nothing.

What a man dips his sausage or deep fried Mars Bar into and its cost may not be important to you, but the population of Scotland may take a highly critical view of their staple diet.

Personally just asking for the Red or Brown stuff should receive a penalty of 25p in addition to the final bill...plus a clip around the ear.

What a man dips his sausage or deep fried Mars Bar into and its cost may not be important to you, but the population of Scotland may take a highly critical view of their staple diet.

Personally just asking for the Red or Brown stuff should receive a penalty of 25p in addition to the final bill...plus a clip around the ear.

:hihi::hihi:

Quite. Only a philistine would use anything other than mayonnaise.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

True, tom sauce or salad cream on a battered Mars Bar is pure culinary ignorance.:D

Not when eating a deep fried battered white pudding! Only the best tomato sauce will suffice. ;) And whilst we're on the subject, why don't English chippies sell white puddings? Next time you're up north try some. :)

White pudding is the sister to black pudding and commonly found as a savoury oatmeal sausage containing oatmeal, bread, suet (raw beef or mutton fat) and sometimes shredded pork. It can also be found without the suet and pork as a vegetarian option. It is usually fried in individual slices and served as part of a traditional Irish or Scottish breakfast but also found in the form of a deep-fried battered sausage in your local Scottish chippy. Deadly but delicious it is known as a white pudding supper if you care to try it the next time you are heading north, I have never found it anywhere else.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-blogs/news/what-is-white-pudding/

Archived