We now have English owners!

Nail hit on head. I note that the Ethnics seem to put great store in bringing in chefs from Asia when there are loads of lads with experience at MackyDees. Are they racist for not advertising jobs locally?

That really fits the tone of the rest of your insightful and well researched post.

Nail hit on head. I note that the Ethnics seem to put great store in bringing in chefs from Asia when there are loads of lads with experience at MackyDees. Are they racist for not advertising jobs locally?

I suspect it's because of what we demand, their customers are mainly indigenous British with an increasingly sophisticated palate as far as Indian food is concerned, you only have to look at the threads here to see that.

I'd also say there's more to cooking Asian food than there is frying potatoes and battered fish, that's why it's the ultimate 'fast food'.

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 11:07 ----------

Regardless of ethnicity I like to see a fat person behind the counter at a chip shop.

Never trust a skinny man selling chips.

:suspect:

Hmm...and you don't see many fat Chinese :confused:

{Good to see you back Kthebean :) }

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 11:09 ----------

Ps..and I know in the Caribbean that high end hotel/restaurant owners almost exclusively bring in european chefs to head their establishments.

Many English when cooking an Indian would'nt have a clue about the ingredients, let alone the quantities let alone when to apply those ingredients. Comparing Asian cooking and fish n chips is pushing the boundaries a bit.

How many of you pro English owners have had fish n chips cooked at home by indigenous English that taste like chip shop fish n chips?

(waits for the me me me lies)

I suspect it's because of what we demand, their customers are mainly indigenous British with an increasingly sophisticated palate as far as Indian food is concerned, you only have to look at the threads here to see that.

I'd also say there's more to cooking Asian food than there is frying potatoes and battered fish, that's why it's the ultimate 'fast food'

I hear what you say but there is a definite art to making good batter and a real art to getting hold of decent fish. I knew a girl who's father was a fisherman and ran chippies on the east coast. Her job was to take a van to the west coast of Scotland and buy decent fish for their shops and a few decent chippies between Whitby & Hornsea. As her dad told me the North Sea is so contaminated he wouldn't serve the fish he caught in his own cobbles. It isn't about buying fish. It's about knowing who to buy from, and for that matter where to buy the right potatoes.

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 11:39 ----------

Ps..and I know in the Caribbean that high end hotel/restaurant owners almost exclusively bring in european chefs to head their establishments.

That's because they are serving standard world cuisine for folk who go abroad but want American and European standard fare. Those in the know eat out at the Jerk Chicken/curry goat stalls.

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 11:42 ----------

How many of you pro English owners have had fish n chips cooked at home by indigenous English that taste like chip shop fish n chips?

You can't cook chip shop fish & chips without a chip shop. The temperature of the oil in a pan falls too much when you drop the battered fish to get the chip shop texture.

You can't cook chip shop fish & chips without a chip shop. The temperature of the oil in a pan falls too much when you drop the battered fish to get the chip shop texture.

So If I'm Indian and use ready made off the shelf batter and drop it into the right temp fat, would my fish turn out any better or worse than a guy with mum and dad tats on his knuckles?

Since when has it been racist to say 'I'm an Englishman who cooks chips?'

Regardless, it's nothing to do with race, it's to do with whether the chips you bung in the fryer are fresh or frozen and whether the batter is thick or thin, dark or light.

Now if the owner stated he was only going to sell 'white' fish, that would be a different matter.

That's because they are serving standard world cuisine for folk who go abroad but want American and European standard fare. Those in the know eat out at the Jerk Chicken/curry goat stalls.

I agree, I was just making the point that European chefs have been shipped into the Caribbean for decades and no-ones batted an eyelid over it, it's just how things are. But I also know Jamaican chefs who've been trained classically here and returned home but not been able to get the top jobs because the customers expectation is to see a European in charge of the brigade, although there are 'celebrity' black chefs like Michael Caines or Patrick Williams who would probably do well.

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 12:23 ----------

Since when has it been racist to say 'I'm an Englishman who cooks chips?'

Nobody's suggested it's racist to say "I'm an Englishman who cooks chips", the question is because I'm an Englishman can I cook chips better than a foreigner?

Many English when cooking an Indian would'nt have a clue about the ingredients, let alone the quantities let alone when to apply those ingredients. Comparing Asian cooking and fish n chips is pushing the boundaries a bit.

So If I'm Indian and use ready made off the shelf batter and drop it into the right temp fat, would my fish turn out any better or worse than a guy with mum and dad tats on his knuckles?

Of course it wouldn't. Similarly if I'm a white guy (as indeed I am) would my dhal (made to my Pakistani friends recipe) taste any different than if she'd cooked it herself?

No.

Archived