We now have English owners!

There's a fish and chip shop a few miles from me owned and run by Chinese. Their fish and chips are as good as any I tasted in England.

When i lived in London the best fish and chips I ever tasted were cooked by a Greek couple

As a student I used to work in the once revered Broomhill Friery, the (English) owner did lunchtime shifts and relied on part timers to do the teatime and evening shifts.

The lunchtime food was always great quality, but the teatime and evening shifts depended on who was working, we younger cooking staff (irrespective of race) tended to rush things, so chips were invariably served blonde rather than the deep, sweet brown they should have been.

The evening shifts were generally carnage due to pressure of numbers and serving queues of drunk revellers, but frankly they didn't care if the batter was half cooked or the mushy peas came with splatterings of curry sauce!

Best fish and chips on Woodseats are English owned, the others are Greek owned I believe, and nowhere near as good, as for Chinese takeaways, never had great chips from any of them and have never wanted fish and chips from a Chinese chip shop.

I know plenty of people who have been critical of foreign owned chip shops, the chip shop mentioned in the op had previously been under non English ownership, and probably not been liked by the locals, therefore the new English owners are probably claiming their quality is going to be better ..... no harm done, standard business bull**** principals.

It is of course still legal in this country to be critical of things that have been owned, run or made by foreigners, just as it is to be critical of anything owned, run or made by the indigenous English / British !

Best fish and chips on Woodseats are English owned, the others are Greek owned I believe, and nowhere near as good, as for Chinese takeaways, never had great chips from any of them and have never wanted fish and chips from a Chinese chip shop.

I know plenty of people who have been critical of foreign owned chip shops, the chip shop mentioned in the op had previously been under non English ownership, and probably not been liked by the locals, therefore the new English owners are probably claiming their quality is going to be better ..... no harm done, standard business bull**** principals.

It is of course still legal in this country to be critical of things that have been owned, run or made by foreigners, just as it is to be critical of anything owned, run or made by the indigenous English / British !

Really? What a surprise.

As a student I used to work in the once revered Broomhill Friery, the (English) owner did lunchtime shifts and relied on part timers to do the teatime and evening shifts.

The lunchtime food was always great quality, but the teatime and evening shifts depended on who was working, we younger cooking staff (irrespective of race) tended to rush things, so chips were invariably served blonde rather than the deep, sweet brown they should have been.

The evening shifts were generally carnage due to pressure of numbers and serving queues of drunk revellers, but frankly they didn't care if the batter was half cooked or the mushy peas came with splatterings of curry sauce!

The fish and chip shop not far from me is called H.Salt Fish and Chips. It's a chain shop and H. Salt was originally started and owned by an Englishman a long time ago.

The way the fish and chips are done today still follows his original way of doing them and that's a strict condition of owning and operating any H.Salt chip shop. Something like KFC in a way

The fish and chisp are all cooked for the customer. Sometimes this means a bit of a wait but well worth it

therefore the new English owners are probably claiming their quality is going to be better

I agree Michael, but he's basing that claim on his ethnicity rather than any culinary attributes.

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 23:45 ----------

The fish and chip shop not far from me is called H.Salt Fish and Chips. It's a chain shop and H. Salt was originally started and owned by an Englishman a long time ago.

The way the fish and chips are done today still follows his original way of doing them and that's a strict condition of owning and operating any H.Salt chip shop. Something like KFC in a way

The fish and chisp are all cooked for the customer. Sometimes this means a bit of a wait but well worth it

I've heard of H Salt, coincidentally I think they're owned by KFC so the comparison is an apt one.

You might remember Harry Ramsdens when you were over here? They were a fabulous chippy but haven't maintained their quality when they went over to being a corporate chain.

I have to say I live in Bradford & have tasted Asian fish & chips & they are not nice. It is something to do with the way they are cooked , the batter is yellow & not nice.

If I want curry , I go for Asian , if I go for fish & chips , I go for English , If I go for Italian , I go for proper Italian made. If I want Chinese , I go for proper Chinese made. If I go for Japanese then I will have my self certified because I cant stand raw fish .

I agree Michael, but he's basing that claim on his ethnicity rather than any culinary attributes.

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 23:45 ----------

I've heard of H Salt, coincidentally I think they're owned by KFC so the comparison is an apt one.

You might remember Harry Ramsdens when you were over here? They were a fabulous chippy but haven't maintained their quality when they went over to being a corporate chain.

Cant say I ever heard of Ramsdens b.f There was a great chippy store at the top of Wheata Road on the Cross when I was a kid owned by a couple named Hulley I think.

I used to like the Roe and chips they served. That Roe was fantastic. I believe it's no longer around for whatever reason

There was another great chippy store called Arthur Treachers just 5 minutes away when I first moved to where i live now. Treacher was also an Englishman in the acting profession but started the chippy stores as a sideline way way back.

You always got them fresh and big servings. Used to go there twice a week then it was taken over by a Scottish couple. The serving sizes were reduced to almost half :hihi: Never went back again and shortly afterwards it closed up and later re-opened as a hamburger joint under new owners

If you're ever out in Southern California and get the yen for a taste of your country try the fish and chips at the Kings Head Pub in Santa Monica. You womt be disappointed

If you're ever out in Southern California and get the yen for a taste of your country try the fish and chips at the Kings Head Pub in Santa Monica. You womt be disappointed

Hope to visit relatives in the south next year Harley and if I do I'll drag you and my miserable old mate poppins out for chips n cake! :)

Archived