Do we live by logic?

Immanuel Kant led an exemplary life. He accepted nothing but Reason. Reason is everything. If you truly wish to understand what life is, what the universe is, then you have to accept that solely Reason can accomplish anything. This holds true for scientific matters as well as for ethical dilemmas.

Is murder bad? Well, the categorical imperative applies here: ‘Act in such a way that your deeds could constitute a universal law.’

1. I kill someone else.

2. ‘Killing someone else’ becomes a universal law.

3. Everyone kills someone else.

4. When everyone has killed someone else, there is only one person left.

5. The last person cannot kill anyone else.

Ergo: the principle cannot hold sway as a universal law. That is why ‘killing someone else’ is a bad principle. Suicide would not cause this problem.

It just goes to show that all ethics derives from Logic and Reason.

Good old Kant. He was so consequential, people literally set their watches to him. They knew it was exactly 6 o’ clock when he left his front door. That is the kind of life to lead.

But the thing is: emotions themselves are chemical reactions in the brain. This we may derive from the fact that they can easily be manipulated by chemical means. What we call a ‘feeling’ or an intuition is rooted in very tangible biological processes.

Do we have ‘free will’? Depends what you mean by it. If you mean: ‘complete and conscious autonomy over your intentions and actions’, then the answer is: not really. Your brain prepares for what you intend to do, and ‘unwittingly’ so. You are constantly making rational calculations without your knowledge.

This is why reason and logic underpin all thing perceptible to humans and advanced animals, even if they are unaware of it.

Immanuel Kant led an exemplary life. He accepted nothing but Reason. Reason is everything. If you truly wish to understand what life is, what the universe is, then you have to accept that solely Reason can accomplish anything. This holds true for scientific matters as well as for ethical dilemmas.

Is murder bad? Well, the categorical imperative applies here: ‘Act in such a way that your deeds could constitute a universal law.’

1. I kill someone else.

2. ‘Killing someone else’ becomes a universal law.

3. Everyone kills someone else.

4. When everyone has killed someone else, there is only one person left.

5. The last person cannot kill anyone else.

Ergo: the principle cannot hold sway as a universal law. That is why ‘killing someone else’ is a bad principle. Suicide would not cause this problem.

It just goes to show that all ethics derives from Logic and Reason.

Good old Kant. He was so consequential, people literally set their watches to him. They knew it was exactly 6 o’ clock when he left his front door. That is the kind of life to lead.

This is errant nonsense. Also, you have incorrect used 'consequential' for the second time this evening, probably purposefully.

But the thing is: emotions themselves are chemical reactions in the brain. This we may derive from the fact that they can easily be manipulated by chemical means. What we call a ‘feeling’ or an intuition is rooted in very tangible biological processes.

Are not thoughts (and by extension, logic and rationality) equally biological processes? Just as rooted in the brain?

Do we have ‘free will’? Depends what you mean by it. If you mean: ‘complete and conscious autonomy over your intentions and actions’, then the answer is: not really. Your brain prepares for what you intend to do, and ‘unwittingly’ so. You are constantly making rational calculations without your knowledge.

If I say "I can apply my will, and have some control over my thoughts"; what does this mean?

The very notions of 'I' 'will' 'brain' etc, are themselves, constructs, which reside within the context of our awareness / mind / brain.

Errant nonsense is any belief that knowledge can be obtained through any other means than reason. Knowledge is the very product of reason. To claim otherwise is highly inconsequential. I strongly suggest that you acquaint yourself with the English language before attempting — feebly — to pronounce judgement on its propriety.

Errant nonsense is any belief that knowledge can be obtained through any other means than reason. Knowledge is the very product of reason. To claim otherwise is highly inconsequential. I strongly suggest that you acquaint yourself with the English language before attempting — feebly — to pronounce judgement on its propriety.

That's the third time you've deliberately used that word incorrectly.

You're a common or garden troll and I claim my £10.

Archived