Do we live by logic?

Sigh... You have really no idea what a burden it is to be literate. I oftentimes wonder why I am constantly surrounded by ill-educated plebs. One dreads to think what a miserable existence it must be to live without the faculties of logic. Nothing personal, of course.

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 23:59 ----------

Are not thoughts (and by extension, logic and rationality) equally biological processes? Just as rooted in the brain?

If I say "I can apply my will, and have some control over my thoughts"; what does this mean?

The very notions of 'I' 'will' 'brain' etc, are themselves, constructs, which reside within the context of our awareness / mind / brain.

Yes, by all means. This also obviates the need for there to be a distinction. The dichotomy betwixt ‘reason’ and ‘emotion’ is a fallacy; they are really the same thing. They are caused by neurotransmitters and proteins. I think this assumed dichotomy derives from the segregation between ‘mind’ and ‘soul’ made by the early psychologists. But personally, I have never been able to fathom this distinction; they should be really considered synonyms.

I was having this conversation with someone who, I was told, knew a lot about life … to cut the story short this person said “ we do actually live as logic dictates ..” , any thoughts? :confused:

I understand that according to the law of physics, the natural order of things is for everything to revert to chaos. So as we are part of nature I'm not sure we follow logic. Wars for example are not logical, diplomacy is. However, how often does disagreement descend into open animosity and war?

I think that that streak of anarchy, (which might be the undoing of us all,) actually is what divides us from computers and 'logical' machines. It's what makes us different.The divine spark of free will.

As Mr Spock would say 'It's not logical Captain.' (but it always works out.)

Surely we need to differentiate between logic and reason , and gut instinct . There is so much noise around us , pressures , petty complaints , things to be done , media on in the background all the time . When does anybody actually have the time to let human instinct kick in ? To recognise those little serendipitous events in life that are there all the time but don't get noticed because of all the "noise"?

We seem to be losing the capacity to tune in to instinct - Cheryl Coles' rose tattoo is dreadful by the way .

In some ways, it's good and helpful to make distinctions between the various facets of our being. So, we can become more versant in a particular facet, for example, better with logic, or better with emotions and reading and relating to people socially.

It's all just experience though, hopefully, non judgemental, and with love and warmth for our fellow man.

Surely we need to differentiate between logic and reason , and gut instinct . There is so much noise around us , pressures , petty complaints , things to be done , media on in the background all the time . When does anybody actually have the time to let human instinct kick in ? To recognise those little serendipitous events in life that are there all the time but don't get noticed because of all the "noise"?

We seem to be losing the capacity to tune in to instinct - Cheryl Coles' rose tattoo is dreadful by the way .

Those who meditate can block out the 'noise' and enjoy the experience of listening. It's quite profound. More people should do it.

I do believe it reveals our true selves and our true purpose, and has very little to do with 'logic.'

I agree with you about Cheryl's tattoo.

I understand that according to the law of physics, the natural order of things is for everything to revert to chaos. So as we are part of nature I'm not sure we follow logic. Wars for example are not logical, diplomacy is. However, how often does disagreement descend into open animosity and war?

I think that that streak of anarchy, (which might be the undoing of us all,) actually is what divides us from computers and 'logical' machines. It's what makes us different.The divine spark of free will.

As Mr Spock would say 'It's not logical Captain.' (but it always works out.)

War, or the use of force can be a logical thing to do. If it is the best way to get what you want, or you estimate that the likely result will be in your favour (and more so than anything achievable by diplomacy) then it's the logical thing to do.

Those who meditate can block out the 'noise' and enjoy the experience of listening. It's quite profound. More people should do it.

I do believe it reveals our true selves and our true purpose, and has very little to do with 'logic.'

I regret that I, sadly, cannot understand a word of what you are saying here... Whenever people get ‘esoteric’, I am lost to them

This kind of talk reminds me of the last chapter in Sam Harris’s book, The End of Faith, with which, in the final analysis, I was disappointed. It is a great shame, because he starts off so well. I really enjoyed that book until somewhere in the middle. Then, suddenly, he turns to some kind of eastern Buddhist babbling (I think) and becomes completely incomprehensible.

Just let me quote a bit from the book, to give an example (page 221):

‘Whatever experience awaits us—either with the help of technology or after death—experience itself is a matter of consciousness and its content. Discover that consciousness inherently transcends its contents, discover that it already enjoys the well-being that the self would otherwise seek, and you have transcended the logic of experience.’

What does that even mean?? ‘Well-being’ that is within consciousness but also ‘transcends’ it?? And it is somehow different from experience? What is the ‘self’ looking for anyway? The self is the brain, i.e. an organ. It does not look for anything; it just functions and does its job. Completely irrational ramblings of a madman. That is not how it behoves an intellectual like Harris.

I deem it a hopeless case to argue without defining clearly and exactly what you mean by each term that you employ. If you start spouting incoherent fustian, you remove yourself from the realm of the debatable.

Archived