-6.7 Iridium flare tonight.

Strange, as it's there. And i've always found HA to be very accurate.

This is the link I have on my PC:

http://www.heavens-above.com/IridiumFlares.aspx?lat=53.38289&lng=-1.466233&loc=Sheffield&alt=76&tz=GMT

The iPhone app works off the very same database of course, but it's very rare that I'm sat at home and think about looking at Iridium Flares. It's much more usual that I'm sat outside somewhere late at night, which is why the iPhone with it's GPS is much more accurate than the link I have bookmarked for Sheffield.

Looking at that link it is indeed -8.3 in the centre of Sheffield, but "only" -6.3 here in the SW of Sheffield.

Yeah, guess i'm just closer to the track than yourself. Still quite spectacular at -6.3 though, and well worth a look. :)

Do you just use the Heavens Above suggestion for Sheffield like I do though, or your precise coordinates? I've just put my exact coordinates in and got exactly the same results as my iPhone app, as expected. It's just that I'd never noticed how much difference it makes to magnitude before. All the times are the same to the second, but the flare brightness can change quite a bit viewing just a few miles apart.

Archived