Is the "Special Relationship" over

That's 2009, over four years ago, a life time in politics. You guy

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 11:57 ----------

That's 2009, over four years ago, a life time in politics. You guys and your Daily Fail:hihi:Try an opinion of your own for a change.

So you agree that in effect we have enough weapons to effectively deter the Russians from attacking us with Nuclear weapons.

We should be careful not to conclude too much by the vote in the House of Commons, as I believe that it reflects the war weariness that is felt by the country rather than how we feel about our relationship with the USA.

However, I think that there is some truth to the old adage, that tere is no such thing as allies, only joint interests. So maybe the only reason the special relationship is still in place is that generally the UK and the US share the same interests.

There are associations of states because of common bloodstock, laws and language though and these could be callaed alliances. It's not always about sharing the same interests which are generally classified as economic or political

I can't really say, except that Clinton seemed to have some magic touch with the economy, or just claimed he did. To do that you would need NYSE on your side, which is not leftist. It's just an opinion of course. You said the comments were made in the right wing press. New York Post maybe, Wall Street Journal, Fox News? If so I would question the source. Trying to damage the President with untruths or half truths can be dangerous in a situation as tense as this. I would put nothing past the Tea Party.

It wasn't the US press it was here, Spectator and Daily Telegraph. Rightists but usually very pro US. I agree that Clinton had a magic touch he was very popular over here.

Clinton was just lucky. 9/11 never happened on his watch. I wonder what he would have done if it had

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 05:56 ----------

Dog meat is popular in the Phillipines. Always has been. The French eat that other man's best friend the horse. In south-east asia you'll find many a thing hanging from a market stall or in a big glass jar. How about a nice piece of delicately cooked snake or cockroaches in honey. Lots of healthy protein there. Enjoy !

Dog meat is popular in the Phillipines. Always has been. The French eat that other man's best friend the horse. In south-east asia you'll find many a thing hanging from a market stall or in a big glass jar. How about a nice piece of delicately cooked snake or cockroaches in honey. Lots of healthy protein there. Enjoy !

can you not see humour when it is put in front of you?

I am quite surprised to read this, the White House are now referring to the French as "our oldest ally" in recent reports from right leaning British papers it has been stated that Obama is far more comfortable with the French president than with Cameron, that the State Department now refer to the Falklands as the Malvinas etc.

Clearly Obama is a left oriented as a US President can get.

that is not why, Obama is not all that well disposed towards Britain. It is because he is the first president of the US whose father was born a British colonial subject for about 150 years - and, at a time when there was a vicous anti-colonial insurrection going in Kenya. It would be totally amazing, if Obama was particularly loved-up about Britain regardless of whether he was left wing or right wing.

Lincoln was the first president whose father was born an American citizen. Prior to that, all the presidents had fathers, who like Obama's were born British colonial subjects.

Archived