Is the "Special Relationship" over

Russia still has far more nukes that the UK and would survive very easily in a nuclear exchange between it and the UK.

The US has provided the real nuclear umbrella to protect Europe since 1945

I guess the important thing is to define what you mean by easily survive a strike from at least one sub that carries 48 nuclear warheads. Sure people would be alive in Russia, but it would be anyones guess as to what type of society that those people would live in.

Let us also not forget that 10 years ago Cameron was happy to go along with the dodgy dossier despite it obviously being a pack of lies. Some people like to fool themselves to justify their megalomania.

Cameron was not happy to go along with the dodgy dossier. He was taken in by it. It didn't become a dodgy dossier until after the war had started and it was exposed as a pack of lies. Until then it had been presented by the Prime Minister as information of the highest caliber and put forward as absolute proof that Sadam had WMD that threatened the UK and could be deployed in 45 minutes. You seem to be trying to fool yourself into who was culpable. Let's not forget that until Blair it wasn't expected that a Prime Minister would lie to parliament in order to gain its support.

I guess the important thing is to define what you mean by easily survive a strike from at least one sub that carries 48 nuclear warheads. Sure people would be alive in Russia, but it would be anyones guess as to what type of society that those people would live in.

Definitely a post apocalyptic one but there would be a lot more of them alive than in the UK

There would probably be many fairly good sized communities continuing their existence given Russia's vast size

---------- Post added 01-09-2013 at 01:43 ----------

Back on the thread subject Britain has now reached a milestone in it's relations with the US. Many would be satisfied knowing that in their view Britain has demonstrated by it's vote that it's no longre the "lap dog" of America.

The special relationship had already cooled down anyway before the Syrian crisis. It's known that Obama feels no affinity towards the UK and on one occasion bluntly told Cameron that if Britain withdrew from the European Union it would become "far less important to Washington" The question now is if Cameron will go ahead as once promised and put the matter of the UK's future EU membership to a national vote

You and I know that, but it doesn't matter. Harleyman wants to show that America is much better than anyone else and we should all get down and kiss their toes. He's not interested in making any argument, just having another dig at the UK because it makes him feel better.

If people in the UK were given the choice of being part of the EU and being part of the USA, I think they'd choose the latter.

With the EU they continue to be a Monarchy. With the US the Monarchy would have to go. That prospect would be very unpalatable to the great majority of Britons, Sheffielders excluded :D

You and I know that, but it doesn't matter. Harleyman wants to show that America is much better than anyone else and we should all get down and kiss their toes. He's not interested in making any argument, just having another dig at the UK because it makes him feel better.

On the other thread about the date the Great War started you accused me of the same thing.

You seem to have a grudge about my knowledge of history and current affairs. I only state facts gleaned from the works of historians and media documentaries. Have you not heard of the British historian Max Hastings?

I have learned a lot from his commentaries

Anyway you must be among the many who now see the House of Commons vote on the Syrian war as the end of the "lap dog" and the "to heel boy" era :D

Definitely a post apocalyptic one but there would be a lot more of them alive than in the UK

There would probably be many fairly good sized communities continuing their existence given Russia's vast size.

So you agree that in effect we have enough weapons to effectively deter the Russians from attacking us with Nuclear weapons.

Back on the thread subject Britain has now reached a milestone in it's relations with the US. Many would be satisfied knowing that in their view Britain has demonstrated by it's vote that it's no longre the "lap dog" of America.

The special relationship had already cooled down anyway before the Syrian crisis. It's known that Obama feels no affinity towards the UK and on one occasion bluntly told Cameron that if Britain withdrew from the European Union it would become "far less important to Washington" The question now is if Cameron will go ahead as once promised and put the matter of the UK's future EU membership to a national vote

We should be careful not to conclude too much by the vote in the House of Commons, as I believe that it reflects the war weariness that is felt by the country rather than how we feel about our relationship with the USA.

However, I think that there is some truth to the old adage, that tere is no such thing as allies, only joint interests. So maybe the only reason the special relationship is still in place is that generally the UK and the US share the same interests.

If people in the UK were given the choice of being part of the EU and being part of the USA, I think they'd choose the latter.

Why do you feel the need to be part of a gang? Do you have low expectations of yourself? Personally I would find it an insult to be given the choice based on playground mentality.

Archived