Grave diggers at Roth Crematorium to strike over job losses.

According to teletex news, 3 out of 12 ground maintenance staff at Herringthorpe crematorium are facing redundancy. Glendale services (the contractor to Rotherham council) said they were still in talks with the crematorium staff over planned redundancies. The date and duration of the strike action is yet to be decided.

I suppose if the action does go ahead, any grave digging will have to be carried out by a skeleton crew.

According to teletex news, 3 out of 12 ground maintenance staff at Herringthorpe crematorium are facing redundancy. Glendale services (the contractor to Rotherham council) said they were still in talks with the crematorium staff over planned redundancies. The date and duration of the strike action is yet to be decided.

I suppose if the action does go ahead, any grave digging will have to be carried out by a skeleton crew.

Hope the talks dont come to a dead end. If they go on strike it could become a very grave situation especially if they end up in a hole financially

I see what they did there.

Given that it's a crematorium I would have thought the chance of them digging any graves was minimal anyway.

Not a ghost of a chance.

ground maintenance staff

I think the OP is guilty of a little hyperbole with their thread title.

Or am I dead wrong?

if you don't pay the fees for your grandmother's grave, Up she comes!

Eh, are you sure? Are you therefore saying the grave is only leasehold?

What happens if you are the last person in your family to die and there is nobody left to pay your fees? What about all those old Victorian graves?

They are still there.

Eh, are you sure? Are you therefore saying the grave is only leasehold?

What happens if you are the last person in your family to die and there is nobody left to pay your fees? What about all those old Victorian graves?

They are still there.

But aren’t they protected monuments? General Cemetery for instance is classified as a monument. No one was buried there since 1978, and there have been roughly 87,000 interments. And very pretty they are too. Mark Firth’s tomb, the nonconformist chapel, the Anglican chapel, the Egyptian gate are definitely all Grade II listed. In fact, it costs a lot of money to clear graves, which is why in the Anglican part where there is now a park, they have simply removed the stones. You are therefore walking on skeletons.

Archived