Is using chemical weapons really that bad?

Hi

I am not a historian, but if chemicals weapons had been used at Dresdan; wouldnt it have brought the second world war to an end sooner, and saved lives and buildings?

If we were on the losing side against an evil enemy, would it be ok to win the war, by any means?

I am not sure which party has right on their side in Syria, but an end to the war, by any means would save lives.

Hi

I am not a historian, but if chemicals weapons had been used at Dresdan; wouldnt it have brought the second world war to an end sooner, and saved lives and buildings?

If we were on the losing side against an evil enemy, would it be ok to win the war, by any means?

I am not sure which party has right on their side in Syria, but an end to the war, by any means would save lives.

Chemical weapons are only really that bad when you're on the receiving end.

As a misanthrope, you could argue: not at all, they are even to be preferred since buildings are more valuable than people. It all depends upon what you deem to be bad, and for whom.

---------- Post added 31-08-2013 at 01:20 ----------

The Germans were the first ones to use gas however

It used to be called ‘Ieperiet’ in Flemish, after the town of Ieper which you call Ypres for some reason. It blinded my great-grandmother.

As a misanthrope, you could argue: not at all, they are even to be preferred since buildings are more valuable than people. It all depends upon what you deem to be bad, and for whom.

---------- Post added 31-08-2013 at 01:20 ----------

It used to be called ‘Ieperiet’ in Flemish, after the town of Ieper which you call Ypres for some reason. It blinded my great-grandmother.

I read somewhere that it was first used against British troops as they advanced towards the German lines early one morning. They saw this big yellow cloud moving along the ground towards them but didnt know what it was but by the time they realized it they were surrounded by the stuff and many died a horrible choking death

Hi

If you think Hitler would have sued for peace because the Allies had used chemical weapons then yes you're right; you're not a historian.

So you don't class the gassing chambers as using chemical weapons?

I did consider that point before posting and decided that the Nazis use of chemicals to kill people in the extermination camps wasn't warfare.

Archived