Harrod's standing still?

In World Wide Words I found:

Staying with Harrods, Pat Beattie was in the famous Knightsbridge store and spotted that the floor directory, expensively inscribed on a marble wall, included the entry, “Lower Ground, Menswear, Fashion Accessories, Gifts and Stationary.”

So on the LG floor, things are standing still?

On a marble wall, it will be costly to correct. At our local Woolworth's (Australian), the same error was on a cardboard placard, and was corrected "while I waited". At the Lincraft store in Brisbane, it took a month of personal discussion, e-mails, and finally a "snail mail" letter, but it got changed.

BTW , "stationAry" with "A" means "stAnding still"; "stationEry" with "E" means "lEttErs, EnvElopEs, Etc."

I always found this an oddity, because stationery was sold by the people outside the ancient universities who ran stationary bookshops, as opposed to ones that travelled about on the backs of donkeys..

I always thought that they should be spelt the same but English in it's wisdom of course makes them different :-)

Archived