Poultry safety for workers?

hello just a quick question for a friend of mine,my friend has just started a job in poultry slaughter house for chickens was wondering if there any health risks? of by law what protective clothing masks etc he should use? he wears gloves/and overalls only! surely he shud wear masks and eye goggles? as they **** blood etc in his face and every were else? for the last 20 hours hes been the toilet he says around 26+ times with diarrhea just wondering if any one know anything on the subject thanks

thanks for the replys just been talking with him again its based in barnsley! nope only thing is overalls wellies,and gloves and hair net Lol,not goggles or a mask.. like u say lots of dusts/feathers/**** he hangs them on the line and they **** blood every,last 3 days been gonna toilet constant and even said his ****s smells like the birds ****... he says his gut is like constant cramp feeling!

thanks for the replys just been talking with him again its based in barnsley! nope only thing is overalls wellies,and gloves and hair net Lol,not goggles or a mask.. like u say lots of dusts/feathers/**** he hangs them on the line and they **** blood every,last 3 days been gonna toilet constant and even said his ****s smells like the birds ****... he says his gut is like constant cramp feeling!

If you have a bad stomach and work in the food industry you are not allowed to work till symptoms go. he might be spreading all sorts too :(

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/foodhandlersireland1009.pdf Read bottom of page 4 start of page 5. He has to inform who he is working for.

That certainly sounds like salmonella if he's got the trots like that!

And yes, if he's being splashed with blood etc like that then it's a big H&S issue and they must do something about it.

I was made to wear a dust mask when I worked at an egg farm 20 odd years ago. If the company he works for wont provide them (and by law they should I reckon) spend a few quid and buy one himself.

Archived