Not seen that before..

so, just sliced some apples up for the kids as a snack, and noticed that some of the seeds (pips?) are sprouting inside the apples...

i understand in the wild that a fallen and rotting apple provides essential nutrients for a seedling, but a supermarket bought apple that isn't showing any sign of over-ripeness? is that normal?

or is it a case of added preservatives that keep the fleshy bits from progressing as nature intended, but not the core?

well, we only bought them friday, but they could have been in transit for a week or two.

but i'm not complaining, the taste and texture is still good.

i've potted the seeds in compost, maybe in twenty years i'll have an orchard :)

just cut the rest of the apples up for a crumble, and have potted 39 seeds, most of which were already sprouting, so it wasn't a case of 'one bad apple'.

gm? maybe. if they stay fresh for longer, then that's not a bad thing, shirley?

just cut the rest of the apples up for a crumble, and have potted 39 seeds, most of which were already sprouting, so it wasn't a case of 'one bad apple'.

gm? maybe. if they stay fresh for longer, then that's not a bad thing, shirley?

It is if they are staying fresh enough to grow 3ft :hihi:

well, we only bought them friday, but they could have been in transit for a week or two.

but i'm not complaining, the taste and texture is still good.

The tomatoes I had came from my neighbor's garden, and I'm sure she didn't put anything on them to preserve them. I think I just let them sit out on the kitchen counter too long.

I've heard that seeds from fruit or vegetables often produce a different variety plant than they came from. :confused:

so, just sliced some apples up for the kids as a snack, and noticed that some of the seeds (pips?) are sprouting inside the apples...

i understand in the wild that a fallen and rotting apple provides essential nutrients for a seedling, but a supermarket bought apple that isn't showing any sign of over-ripeness? is that normal?

or is it a case of added preservatives that keep the fleshy bits from progressing as nature intended, but not the core?

It is not unusual these days.

In the 'wild' if the seed germinated so quickly, it would be killed by the first frosts of winter.

They would normally remain dormant until they had been through a long enough period of cold and then had started to warm up again ... i.e. got through winter and spring was approaching.

Modern production often puts the fruit into cold storage before getting onto the shelves and this can simulate the cycle needed to initiate germination.

Archived