Riding Bike in City Centre

davylam

Hello, I am going to study at Sheffield. I am planning to buy a bike after arrival, to save some transport cost. However, Sheffield was built on seven hills as every Sheffielders know, are there a lot of steep slopes in the city centre? Is it difficult to climb the slopes in Sheffield by bike?:gag:

Thank you for your suggestions! My accommodation is Aspect 3 in Edward Street, not far from the Uni Campus in Western Bank. So which kind of bikes suits me the most? Should I buy a road bike or a mountain bike, in terms of both transport and fitness? P.S. I am a fresh man in cycling sports and I seldom ride bike in my home town as the poor cycling infrastructure.

haha that's true. My friend in Birmingham suggested me buying an expensive lock instead of an expensive bike. Especially some sport-car-like road bikes are very attractive to bicycle thieves.

I hope this phenomenon is less common in student accommodation and school campus.

Buy the best lock you can is good advice. Better still always leave your bike behind a locked door - not always easy.

If you buy a bike with 3 chain rings ( the big ones at the front) there should be a gear there for every hill. Go for the 'granny gear' ( big at the back -small at the front) early in the hill and find a comfortable tempo - ease of pedalling is more important than speed.

Finally an inexpensive bike will be good for at least six months - if you've trashed it by then bike bug will have bitten and you will be ready and have the experience for another better one. AND you will have saved the money for it too. If its covered in dust it will still be good for an occasional spin.

"The hardest thing about cycling is getting the kit on"

Archived