Riding Bike in City Centre

davylam

If you want a bike for commuting, don't buy a mountain bike. It is a common misnomer that they are better than roadbikes for this purpose. Most mountain bikes, particularly at the budget end of the market, are heavy in comparison, therefore making cycling harder than it needs to be on Sheffield's hills. Also mountain bikes usually come with nobbly tyres which increase resistance on the road surface.

I would suggest a hybrid bike, lighter, with a good range of gears, but with straight handlebars and slightly wider wheels than a road bike, and smoother tyres.

Hi

welcome to this forum site, here you can find lots of things, i suggest a for your quation you have to contact any other expert.......

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 20:09 ----------

Hi

welcome to here you can find lots of things, i suggest a for your quation you have to contact any other expert.......

If you do get a mountain bike, I'd advise either one without front suspension or with suspension that locks as otherwise you'll be working a lot harder riding uphill, and as Tobyjug pointed out, despite wider nobbly tires looking nicer, the extra traction can make you feel like your peddling through treacle.

Welcome to Sheffield by the way:)

Agree with tobyjug,hybrid is the way to go for commuting,avoid road bikes your riding position is wrong and mountain bikes have the wrong tyres and stuff you don't need.

Take a look at decathlon some good cheap bikes there.

A good lock is a great investment and will last many years some of the locks I see used are a bit of a joke you might as well lock it with paper ;)

btw the hills once you get used to them become good great for fitness!

I've just started riding my bike to work after about a 10 year break.

I'd agree with getting a hybrid bike if you can. I've got a hybrid and a front suspension mountain bike. The hybrid may not be as good for the image, but the tyres are better for the road and its easier up hills. And mountain bikes tend to get stolen more.

A couple of things I've noticed. The roads in Sheffield are terrible. Especially towards the side (kerb) of the road. I'm guessing this is due to all the poor patching up made by the utility companies. As someone who has driven a car along this route for the last 10 years, I'm really surprised that I've never noticed the shocking state before.

Secondly, I'm not surprised bikes get nicked. I saw a £2000 Cannondale locked at the station the other day with a £10 lock. Just the frame, no lock on either wheel with quick release wheels. This wasn't one of the BTP tracker bikes. Wire cutters could have got thro it, not even a need for bolt croppers.

Just make sure you have a decent tread on your tyres whether MTB or Crossbike i'd steer clear of a road bike for commuting unless experienced. In the winter it can get pretty greasy... as well as possible mishaps crossing tramlines.

I love the fact that Flanker has given some coaching tips on how to ride up a hill :-)

I love the fact that Flanker has given some coaching tips on how to ride up a hill :-)

To be honest I've only just found out, into my 40's, that I've been riding the wrong size bike all my life.

I've had my feet flat on the floor whilst sat on the saddle up until this new one.

Yes should be flat and almost straight at bottom of pedal stroke...although what you describe would be good for off road mtbing... cycling around town like that can give you knee ache ... still some people choose to get around town on a bmx. So personal preference does play a role too :-)

Archived