Will David Cameron Be Re-Elected?

People on benefits only have to pay a third of what people with barely more than them (for example people on minimum wage) have to pay. That's a good deal in my book.

Again, how are disabled people or council tenants being treated any differently to non council tenants or non disabled people? Or are they just getting less for free than they used to get? That isn't discrimination, whichever way you look at it. If you want a spare room, pay for it. Nobody in private housing gets free rooms.

'your book' - would that be the 'big book of conservative policy' (by sir william considerablyricherthanthou)

you still haven't clarified why it's fair for benefit claimants to be stung with unaffordable council tax bills, instead of everyone being made to pay a little extra.

oh, i forget, "we're all in this together (apart from us with money, we're keeping that)"

(spare rooms - that's a different benefit to what is being discussed)

Although people do not want this 5% to gain representation, why shouldnt they? If someone disagrees with my opinion, there is a good chance that they are wrong ;) but they need to be represented.

but that's the problem with a Parliament of a few hundred people - not everyone's views can be represented properly - it's the compromise you have to make to enable a workable system

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 11:00 ----------

With PR both the BNP and UKIP would have seats in Parliament. I would prefer it, if people vote for parties like that they deserve to have their views heard in parliament. The big parties don't want it because FPTP benefits them.

at the risk of sounding like a stuck record - it depends on the type of PR you have and the rules that you apply

at the last general election, ukip got 3.1% (just under a million votes) of the total vote and the bnp got 1.9% (just over half a million)

you could argue that both parties should be represented in the house of commons at that level of support - i wouldn't disagree - as a proportion of the 650 seats in the house of commons, ukip would have approx 19 mp's and the bnp would have 12 - i'm sure both parties would be happy with that outcome

and you can see why the big parties don't want it

arguably, coalition government has worked well for the UK over the last few years - and it hasn't served Germany too badly over the last 60 years or so

'your book' - would that be the 'big book of conservative policy' (by sir william considerablyricherthanthou)

you still haven't clarified why it's fair for benefit claimants to be stung with unaffordable council tax bills, instead of everyone being made to pay a little extra.

Because it's from a base of benefit claimants paying nothing while working people have seen their council tax rise massively over the pest decade or so. If you look at it in the long term, it's still a very good deal for the benefit person.

Because it's from a base of benefit claimants paying nothing while working people have seen their council tax rise massively over the pest decade or so. If you look at it in the long term, it's still a very good deal for the benefit person.

how is it a 'very good deal for the benefit person'?

why should they subsidise your tax bill with the close-to-nothing that they have?

i guess 'fair' isn't in your 'big book of robbing the poor so the rich can get richer'

how is it a 'very good deal for the benefit person'?

why should they subsidise your tax bill with the close-to-nothing that they have?

i guess 'fair' isn't in your 'big book of robbing the poor so the rich can get richer'

How are they subsidising my tax bill? I shelled out nearly £25k in income tax last year of which a good chunk goes on paying benefits to people - how tell is that me being subsidised?

How are they subsidising my tax bill? I shelled out nearly £25k in income tax last year of which a good chunk goes on paying benefits to people - how tell is that me being subsidised?

Because in his world they will pay an extra £20 and all is fair.

Because in his world they will pay an extra £20 and all is fair.

in the example with hypothetical figues i gave, yes.

the council tax support system we have now puts extra pressure on those least able to afford it, whilst the more affluent members of society don't have to pay any extra.

the benefit claimants are paying an EXTRA £230 minimum on a £1000 council tax bill.

someone on a good wage is paying an EXTRA ... £0.00, zero, NOTHING, whatever amount they pay in council tax.

the (council tax) benefit claimants are filling the shortfall in the council's budget, so you don't have to.

poor people (who may not be able to afford to pay council tax) ARE subsidising the well-off.

the council should have put council tax up across the board, but capped council tax benefit at it's current rate, that way, everybody, working or not, is contributing to reducing the budget deficit.

Archived