Will David Cameron Be Re-Elected?

in the example with hypothetical figues i gave, yes.

the council tax support system we have now puts extra pressure on those least able to afford it, whilst the more affluent members of society don't have to pay any extra.

the benefit claimants are paying an EXTRA £230 minimum on a £1000 council tax bill.

someone on a good wage is paying an EXTRA ... £0.00, zero, NOTHING, whatever amount they pay in council tax.

the (council tax) benefit claimants are filling the shortfall in the council's budget, so you don't have to.

poor people (who may not be able to afford to pay council tax) ARE subsidising the well-off.

the council should have put council tax up across the board, but capped council tax benefit at it's current rate, that way, everybody, working or not, is contributing to reducing the budget deficit.

No they aren't, poor people are being subsides by working people (also poor) to the tune of £770 in your example.

in the example with hypothetical figues i gave, yes.

the council tax support system we have now puts extra pressure on those least able to afford it, whilst the more affluent members of society don't have to pay any extra.

the benefit claimants are paying an EXTRA £230 minimum on a £1000 council tax bill.

someone on a good wage is paying an EXTRA ... £0.00, zero, NOTHING, whatever amount they pay in council tax.

the (council tax) benefit claimants are filling the shortfall in the council's budget, so you don't have to.

poor people (who may not be able to afford to pay council tax) ARE subsidising the well-off.

the council should have put council tax up across the board, but capped council tax benefit at it's current rate, that way, everybody, working or not, is contributing to reducing the budget deficit.

Rubbish. The amount of subsidy the unwaged are getting may have been reduced but they are still being subsidised by the taxpayer to a very considerable extent. Saying that they are paying for taxpayers is utterly wrong and wholly without merit, as is the rest of your argument.

the council has a huge hole in it's finances.

who should contribute to filling that hole - everyone? no. make the poorest section of society pay for it.

what if they can't afford it? well, we'll send the baliffs round, sell off whatever we can for whatever we can get for it.

and if that doesn't cover the amounts owed? we'll instruct our debt collection officers to pay them a visit.

but they've got no money left, what now? summons them and get them CCJ'd

but we still have a hole in the finances. what do we do about that? easy, we'll cut council tax support to 65%.

then 40%

then 10%

...0%

then signing on will mean the same as signing the council tax direct debit form.

brilliant plan. well done, mr council official, have a pay rise.

in't conservatism BRILLIANT!

Lol, losing the argument so make up a totally hypothetical situation where council tax benefit is reduced to 0%. Well done!

it already has been reduced to 0%

and your council tax bill IS being subsidised by those on benefits - their council tax bill has gone up so yours doesn't.

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 13:52 ----------

What on earth are you talking about?

you'll never understand it, will you.

it already has been reduced to 0%

and your council tax bill IS being subsidised by those on benefits - their council tax bill has gone up so yours doesn't.

Well that's good for me so maybe I'll vote Conservative again and maybe any working person with half a brain would too.

Ok the name has changed and you now get a reduction dependent on cicumstances which can be up to 100%. My council tax bill IS NOT being subsidised by people on benefits. I don't see how you fail to grasp this. I am subsidising their Council Tax bill. Definitely, 100% fact that people who don't get a reduction in council tax are subsidising those who do.

Archived