I've Not Watched TV For Over Two Months. Anybody Else?

There is some cracking programmes but just not enough of it. 20 years ago the highlights were catchphrase & generation game. Evening TV was made up of gameshows. There was barely a night went by when Michael Barrymore or Roy walker wasn't on. Now we get some stonking TV but just not nearly enough.

There have been some great shows recently - although none of them British...

The Wire

Sopranos

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Spiral

Walking Dead

The Killing

The Bridge

Friday Night Lights

And of course, Breaking Bad.

You don't have to watch rubbish when there is plenty of quality out there - you just have to look a bit harder to find it.

Here's another post I don't understand. You are watching things like comedies, dramas, documentaries - things on the whole made for tv. Is it highbrow to watch them on t`internet rather than say I've got a telly and I watch it??

I don't know, but like I said, for me it's down to time.

If any of the stuff I like was on TV when/if I got some free time, I'd probably watch it.

British television has never been worse IMO.

Most of us will have had similar moans about TV back in the 80s and 90s: Blind Date, Surprise Surprise, rubbish sitcoms, soaps, and Noel Edmonds on various abominations. The only differences are that these days the rubbish TV is accompanied by auto-tuned X-Factor rubbish music instead of similarly crap tunes from Stock, Aitkin and Waterman, and the audience members seem to bray, snigger and whoop a little louder.

There are gems to be found and you've always had to search for them amidst the swill. Noel Edmonds or Ant 'n' Dec: similar rubbish output, different decades.

Archived