Sheffield - are these air raid shelters?

canute

You're right Nissen huts were used for storage and/or cooking in, the bomb proof ones were Anderson shelters. Oh BTW 1940s woman can decorate her house how she wants. I'd love a 1930s house with the amazing decor they had then but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to live in those times:D:love:

When the war started each family was given an air raid shelter or a metal table. The air raid shelter consisted of corrigated steel sheets bent which were bolted together and placed in a hole in the garden. Many people just bolted them together and stood them in the garden and used them as sheds, too lazy to dig a hole. What you have is the shed I would imagine.

The metal table was like a box which families without a garden could dive under during an air raid to keep them being injured from falling debris.

We were also issued with a gas mask for children and adults, babies had a special container like a small oxygen tent.

You're right Nissen huts were used for storage and/or cooking in, the bomb proof ones were Anderson shelters. Oh BTW 1940s woman can decorate her house how she wants. I'd love a 1930s house with the amazing decor they had then but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to live in those times:D:love:

I was born in 1929, so I lived through those times. There was hardly any crime, we, as kids never felt in danger. Money was scarce and when war broke out, so was food for some, others, the landed gentry like Churchill lived off the fat of the land. I was sent to decorate a house in Bocking Lane and the owners had converted one bedroom into a food store. There was at least 50 huge hams hanging from hooks in the ceiling. My mouth watered.

We had no wallpaper so we devised all sorts of decorating techniques such as rag rolling.

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 15:56 ----------

what would we be given now, Nothing

We were completely different people then. We helped each other, and we were much happier. The trend was as I grew up to become more and more insular. The motor car was a large contributing factor because before they became popular we all went by bus, tram or charrabang, and we talked to each other. The TV was another problem since that's all we talked about and the evening meal was eaten watching the cathode ray tube. Then the house ownership bubble reared it's ugly head and reached a climax when Thatcher started her luatic antics. It's been downhill ever since.

The British people need to think before they vote and talk to each of the pro's and con's each party advocates. We need people in Parliament who look after us not the wealthy few.

I was born in 1929, so I lived through those times. There was hardly any crime, we, as kids never felt in danger. Money was scarce and when war broke out, so was food for some, others, the landed gentry like Churchill lived off the fat of the land. I was sent to decorate a house in Bocking Lane and the owners had converted one bedroom into a food store. There was at least 50 huge hams hanging from hooks in the ceiling. My mouth watered.

We had no wallpaper so we devised all sorts of decorating techniques such as rag rolling.

You expect us to believe you're 84 and were working at age 10 in 1939, bit far fetched I think - you're far more computer literate than me and I wasn't born until 6 years after the war ended. Methinks you've been reading too many books

You expect us to believe you're 84 and were working at age 10 in 1939, bit far fetched I think - you're far more computer literate than me and I wasn't born until 6 years after the war ended. Methinks you've been reading too many books

I don;t think I wrote I started working at 10 years old, actually I worked in a butchers shop on Chesterfirld road when I was 11 but only Saturday mornings, I made sausages.

I was 14 when I went to that house in Bocking lane with an old man, he must have been at least 40 years old, LOL, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks all :)

I've come across Nissen huts being used as air raid shelters (e.g. on Starfish deception sites) but they've been semi-buried and had earth banked over their roofs, but I wasn't sure if there was a different tradition in Sheffield

Bullerboy - have you got a Google map link for the one up Norfolk Park?

Thanks all :)

I've come across Nissen huts being used as air raid shelters (e.g. on Starfish deception sites) but they've been semi-buried and had earth banked over their roofs, but I wasn't sure if there was a different tradition in Sheffield

Bullerboy - have you got a Google map link for the one up Norfolk Park?

sorry no i hav'nt.PM me and ill give you her name and you can go from there.

Archived