They're back..September is SPIDER month

Guest makapaka
18 hours ago, FinBak said:

Now THAT made me chuckle. :D  (Apart from chucking them into the fish pond.!!:shakes:)

House spiders are harmless and are a good way to keep 'Flying insects' like Flies under control.

An old saying..."If you want to live and Thrive, leave the spider alive...:thumbsup:;):)

No - it’s;

”If you want to live and thrive, purchase a flamethrower from the internet and obliterate the room the spider is in. Add petrol”

On 28/09/2019 at 20:10, maggidee said:

They say if you put conkers  in each room  it’s sopposed to keep them away

A lot of people do say that, just like a lot of people say that crystals have healing properties.

Neither are true though.

3 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

A lot of people do say that, just like a lot of people say that crystals have healing properties.

Neither are true though.

I swear by the conker theory, my late wife and I used to go out collecting conkers.. she would spread them all round the house, never saw a spider.. Don"t bother now and the spiders are back, not that it bothers me.. 

Don"t these spider repellents have some sort of Horse Chestnut ingredient in them.

2 minutes ago, francypants said:

Ha! Ha! Ha!

That's brilliant.     I'd have a heart attack if that came running towards me.       🤣

Even if it was yours and you knew, that running across the field and jumping up at you would still be a bit scary lol

On 01/10/2019 at 10:03, Padders said:

I swear by the conker theory, my late wife and I used to go out collecting conkers.. she would spread them all round the house, never saw a spider.. Don"t bother now and the spiders are back, not that it bothers me.. 

Don"t these spider repellents have some sort of Horse Chestnut ingredient in them.

I haven't seen a spider in my house in months but I haven't put down any conkers - so surely that means not putting down conkers keeps spiders away?

Several studies have been carried out by universities and the findings were that spiders don't give a hoot about  conkers.

For a quick, simple test see this video done by school kids. Given the option of climbing over a small branch or a sea of conkers, spiders chose the conkers (if anything, that may be a link suggesting that they like conkers 😁)

It could well be that some spider repellent brand claims the use of a chestnut extract, it would likely be a good selling point seeing as so many people believe the old wives' tale.

29 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

I haven't seen a spider in my house in months but I haven't put down any conkers - so surely that means not putting down conkers keeps spiders away?

Several studies have been carried out by universities and the findings were that spiders don't give a hoot about  conkers.

For a quick, simple test see this video done by school kids. Given the option of climbing over a small branch or a sea of conkers, spiders chose the conkers (if anything, that may be a link suggesting that they like conkers 😁)

It could well be that some spider repellent brand claims the use of a chestnut extract, it would likely be a good selling point seeing as so many people believe the old wives' tale.

Very interesting  RB.. makes me wonder.. watched a couple of other videos which proves your point..

Seem to go to a lot of trouble to disprove an old wives tale. thanks anyway.