Wortley forge nr stocksbidge

choogling

Had a great day out on sunday down at wortley forge, although its on my doorstep its over thirty years since i made a visit and what a surprise it was.

The old forge has been restored into an almost working full scale model,its just as if the workers are having a day off and have left their tools on the job.The restored water wheel was running just as smooth as the day it was made.

As well as the forge there is a museum on several different locations in the old forge building and this week there was a gathering of model steam engines giving rides around the vast grounds.

Another attraction is the narrow gauge steam railway also giving nearly free rides,a sign sugests leaving a fifty pence donation for the ride,most people were bunging two quid in.

With the three quid to get in,cup of nice tea fifty pence and a burger for two quid a well recomended day out,I have no affiliation to the attraction i am just a very satisfied visitor soon to return, well done all the staff for the day out.

Have a look at my train ride video.http://youtu.be/SG5DxXLxtR4

Its not too far from us either and we passed about 4 of the small steam engines going down Well Hill.

Great place for a visit.

Noticed a few of them had tax discs on but assumed they had come on trailers,a mini convoy of engines on the road must have been quite a sight.

Archived