Resurfacing Updates

Crookes main road is a death trap, drivers swerving all over to avoid pot holes.

Meanwhile Amey seem to think footpaths that don't require immediate attention should be the center of all their focus.

Must admit, they (Amey) started off well but imo have drastically gone downhill, some of their recent work has been awful, a newly installed lampost falling over is one example.

Get the main roads sorted amey!!

I'm not surprised at all they are falling over when they do not seem to be sinking them to the minimum specified level. eg Surely this isnt right?

The one in front of our house they even cut some off the bottom to prevent having to sink it deeper, which seems insane for an area that gets high winds.

six weeks ago we had our footpath relayed, it took around 2 weeks to do 100 meters of pavement on both sides of our road, we came back from holiday last week to find one side dug up for facilities work - superb planning and back to a patchwork pavement.

whats happened to doing all the roads???, or has that been quietly dropped by scc?

Another person assuming the council are the source of all ills?

The money is allocated, Amey have the contract to do it, I'm pretty sure SCC have no way to back out now.

The majority of the roads were supposed to be resurfaced by 2017, but it seems they are WAY behind.

In my area, the roads were down for 2013 but some of the worst condition and/or heavily used roads haven't been touched yet.

Have a laugh at the works map: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject/works-schedules/works-map.html#

Edited by AlexAtkin

It's an absolutely massive job, I'm not surprised they are behind.

they way behind because they doing paths that dont need doing whilst someone still patching the roads with bodged up temp fixes, im sorry but there MUST be someone at scc in charge of payments to amey

they way behind because they doing paths that dont need doing whilst someone still patching the roads with bodged up temp fixes, im sorry but there MUST be someone at scc in charge of payments to amey

The contract was for Amey to renew every road and path in Sheffield. Also not every road that has potholes can resurfaced at a moments notice, so the temp fixes will have to do until the road can be resurfaced.

I'm not surprised at all they are falling over when they do not seem to be sinking them to the minimum specified level. eg Surely this isnt right?

The one in front of our house they even cut some off the bottom to prevent having to sink it deeper, which seems insane for an area that gets high winds.

They did that on ones outside our work.

After taking 2 weeks to put them in which in itself was farcical:

One team arrived to dig a hole

Another team came a few days later and did the wiring

Another team came a few days later and took the old ones out

Then another team turned up to tarmac (making a right mess which I told them to clean up)

Then , a few weeks later , they were inspected and deemed to be not deep enough.

So another team turned up - and dug a hole.

Another lot turned up and , instead of placing them deeper - they pulled them up and cut off about 5 inches from the bottom of the tube and plonked them back in.

Then another lot came and tarmaced again...

This was a few years back now and we put it down to teething troubles (although we did complain to Amey at the time).

Seems nothing changes. The "site at this level" stickers are a new thing but pretty much ignored - the ones round us in Fulwood are all over the place.

I think that you will find that they are now only doing paths that they feel are in need of repair. In my area it looks like a big patchwork quilt there is a miss ash of old and new pavers some paths are tarmaced whilst the other side of the street is either dug up and paveing slabs reused and a few new ones thrown in or whole side streets left not touched at all.