Can anyone help me get a Passport? I do not exist?

Dentzler

good luck!

I was in a similar position. came to the uk on my mums passport when was 8. fastforward 22 years and I look at getting my dual national passports. I had never had a passport my entire life as I never went abroad. Went to apply for my uk passport and using my mothers passport along with my original birth certificate from Aus was not enough to prove who I was!

my NI number, taxes paid, mortgages and school/work history meant squat..... so I got my australian passport and moved back here!

How old are you? If only late teens then probably of no help but if you're in your 30's + then surely you have some memories of your childhood, where you attended school, friends, clubs etc. Do you have no family, was it literally just you and your mum?

I can't help solve your problem, but I understand what a fiasco this whole passport business is, because my sister is in much the same boat. She "emigrated" to Idaho in 2003 with her American husband and after much effort at hacking her way through the bureaucracy, was finally granted "Permanent US Resident Status" and got her "Green Card" (which enables her to find work) about 3 or 4 years later.

In the meantime, her British passport expired, and when she applied to renew it, she was told that she couldn't get a UK Passport, because she didn't have a permanent UK address. When she applied for a US passport, she was told that she couldn't get one, because she'd only been given "Permanent Resident" rights, not full "US Citizen" rights.

Even though my sis was born and brought up in Sheff and lived in the UK until her mid-30's, she is now effectively trapped in America. She has permission to stay there forever if she wants to, , but no permission to ever leave. Surely this can't be right??

How old are you? If only late teens then probably of no help but if you're in your 30's + then surely you have some memories of your childhood, where you attended school, friends, clubs etc. Do you have no family, was it literally just you and your mum?

Yes I do remember my childhood home, school and neighborhood very well but they don't exist anymore, its just wasteland like most of Highland Park and neighboring Detroit.

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 20:49 ----------

Do you have any other relatives, either dead or alive?

Were your mother in the WPP there should be no danger now, as I hope she's in a safe place above.

The US authorities should be able to help you. Contact the FBI.

Do you have any official paperwork? Did your mother leave any?

The only documentation I have is my mothers death certificate, my NI No. and my UK driving license.

I've never been in trouble with the Police but a CRB check cannot be processed until I have a birth certificate, which is frustrating because it's limiting my future employment opportunities.

Thank you cgksheff for pointing out that this ludicrous "Catch 22" situation is nonsense and thank you for giving me the web-link. I'll pass this info on to my little Sis out in the redneck wilds of Idaho. She's been having a right nightmare trying to sort this out with the US authorities and I always had a feeling that she may be best served by trying to sort it all out via the UK Passport Office..... she is a Brit, born and bred, after all!

Archived