Can anyone help me get a Passport? I do not exist?

Dentzler

But according to USA department of state I do not exist, I suspect this could be due to Highland Park General Hospital closing the year I was born 1976, and my birth not been registered?

Just like here, all births have to be registered in the USA by law, and even if the hospital closed soon after you were born, it seems very unlikely the forms wouldn't have been filled out and sent to the County Registrar. The Centre for Disease Control tell you who to contact in Michigan for a copy of a Birth Certificate:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/michigan.htm

You should be able to obtain a copy with a UK (photo) driving licence?

It's weird that your mother has no paperwork. Unless she was already a British subject she'd surely need a visa to stay here until she was naturalised (and there'd be a paper trail at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for that). Where does the death certificate say she was born?

Perhaps you're checking under the wrong names. Your mother must have had a passport whether a British or US one to enter this country in 1990 whe you were 13 or 14. The information on the death certificate was presumably given by you so is not independently verified. For your mother to have no documents that predate 1990 seems most unusual. A possibility is that she chose to separate completely from her life in American. She may have chosen to do so under a different name. You are old enough to remember the surnames you both used then. Start with those and try to trace your mother's passport , birth certificate and perhaps a marriage certificate. These can give you possibilities to trace your birth certificate which may have a different surname to the one you and your mother used. Kind regards and good luck.

How old are you? If only late teens then probably of no help but if you're in your 30's + then surely you have some memories of your childhood, where you attended school, friends, clubs etc. Do you have no family, was it literally just you and your mum?

if he was born in 1976, he must be about 35 or 36.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 07:27 ----------

How old are you? If only late teens then probably of no help but if you're in your 30's + then surely you have some memories of your childhood, where you attended school, friends, clubs etc. Do you have no family, was it literally just you and your mum?

if he was born in 1976, he must be about 35 or 36.

Be careful - if they see you suddenly appear on the radar they may want you for back taxes for all the work you've been doing!

Sounds like a sucky position to be in though :-(

Do you know he hasn't paid any taxes?

Just googled and apparently you are not the only one in this situation. You can obtain your birth certificate from City Council building in down town Detroit. That's what some of the others have done. It makes sad reading about the area though I can see why your mum came here with you. Good luck.

If he had his birth cert then his birth would have been registered.

But he doesn't have his birth certificate and is unsure about registration.

It is actually quite likely that he was registered but he'll have to find out.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 16:18 ----------

Just googled and apparently you are not the only one in this situation. You can obtain your birth certificate from City Council building in down town Detroit. .......

You sure?

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1002

Archived